Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Green and Blue Screen removal

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Thomas Crowe

Green and Blue Screen removal

PostSat May 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum and new to fusion.

Recently I shot some footage of actors rehersals, and it turned out that as well as the green screen I suddenly realised that there was a blue carpet. Yes I know :?

Anyway my question is what is best way to key out both colours?

I was thinking of adding two copies of the footage and running primatte on each to remove the different colour then some how merging???

I really do not know what I am doing and will be very grateful for any suggestions, Nothing major as I am learning.

Many thanks in advance

tadgey

Blazej Floch

Re: Green and Blue Screen removal

PostTue May 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Yes you can key both out e.g. with primatte.
Then you can combine both with a "Matte Control". Make sure to set it to "Combine Alpha" and "Minimum".
Also you don't want to postmultiply twice so do not multiply the keys or pipe the new Alpha into a separate Matte Control, with the original plate as Background. Set it to "Combine Alpha" "Copy".

Then you can post multiply before merging over a background etc.

Gregory Chalenko

Re: Green and Blue Screen removal

PostTue Jun 16, 2015 11:52 pm

There is another commonly used method of combining two keys:
feed both of your Primattes into a Dissolve, draw a mask around the areas which are good in the one connected to the Foreground input and apply the mask to the Dissolve.

This way, you can create complex high-quality keys, combining multiple Primattes, used for different zones of your footage like hair, darker screen, brighter screen, folds, shadows, parts which stick out beyond the screen etc.
www.compositing.tv

Return to Fusion