Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Best Fusion education I've found

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

davidsikes

Best Fusion education I've found

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 2:17 pm

For those getting acquainted with Fusion (like me), I wanted to share this resource. I've seen cmivfx.com mentioned a good bit in the forums here. I purchased a couple of tutorials from there and was overall disappointed by the quality of the lessons. After completing two of their fusion tutorials (Fusion Basics and Sky Replacement) and being disappointed in the tutorials, I did some more searching and found digitaltutors.com

Digital Tutors has a great Fusion "Learning Path" that I've found to be much, much more helpful than what is on cmivfx. I'm nearly done with my second course there and I've been much happier with the quality of what's being taught.

Additionally, it's $29 or $49/month for Digital Tutors vs. $10-$60/lesson or $199/year at cmivfx. So if you're setting aside time to learn in a short amount of time and only pay for a month, it will easily cost less to go with Digital Tutors.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to anyone else getting to know the program.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/learningpa ... -in-Fusion

Johnny Farmfield

Re: Best Fusion education I've found

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 4:49 pm

I love the cmiVFX tutorials but if you are new to compositing, they are probably not the best way to learn. But if you come from After Effects (personally I did not though, I came from AE via Nuke) and have some comping experience under your belt, the cmiVFX tutorials, especially the last ones by Terry Riyasat covering Fusion 7.x, are really good... IMO. :)

*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Tommy Campbell

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 5:28 pm

I have all the ones that Johnny listed and they are very good. I agree that cmiVFX probably isn't the best place for a beginner to start. As for the cost, they have frequent sales, sometimes up to 70% off. I've never paid full price for any of the videos I've purchased.

Johnny Farmfield

PostFri Jun 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Tommy Campbell wrote:As for the cost, they have frequent sales, sometimes up to 70% off. I've never paid full price for any of the videos I've purchased.

^this - LOL, me too, not one at full price so far. :? :lol:
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

davidsikes

PostTue Jun 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Tommy Campbell wrote:As for the cost, they have frequent sales, sometimes up to 70% off. I've never paid full price for any of the videos I've purchased.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Thanks!

michael vorberg

PostTue Jun 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Right now there is 50% off at cmivfx

But I didn't like there tutorials that much

Vladimir LaFortune

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 am

I do appreciate cmiVFX for coming out with much needed fresh Fusion educational material I cant help but not to say that these tutorials feel rushed with little or no fine tuning as they earlier Fusion videos.

Im not doubting people at cmiVFX at all cause I know they can deliver better then anyone out there together with (overpriced) fxphd just take a look at their Clarrise tutorial, I think its called Clarrise environment or something where they generate environment using few applications such as Terragen and Pirana. Its the best tutorial I've seen in a very long time, its quite essential for any content creator out there to see where the future is heading.

Also if you are into Houdini there is no better place to go then cmiVFX. Im just looking forward to more Fusion content which will be as good as their Houdini stuff.

Nathaniel Westveer

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 2:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... jsumvA2M_M

Here is a Youtube Playlist of the most Helpful tutorials I've found.

Return to Fusion