Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

question regarding particle system to create smoke plumes in

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Clayton Von Isaacs

question regarding particle system to create smoke plumes in

PostWed Jun 17, 2015 7:06 pm

I need to make a fireplace plume in a miniature. I know that fusion has a particle system that can do plumes. I have two questions:

1. I am shooting a chrome ball for HDRI for cgi lighting reference. Can you apply HDRI to the particle system?

2. There is supposed to be high winds going on in the scene. Does the particle system have something that allows you to have it react like it is being blown by wind?

I am on a mac so have to wait until 8 comes out for mac to start playing around with it, but I wanted to ask the question here now while I have time to shoot a practical smoke plume element while shooing miniature. If there is someone who is familiar with this, I may have further detailed questions that might be better to pick your brain in email.

Thanks in advance.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Gregory Chalenko

Re: question regarding particle system to create smoke plume

PostWed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 pm

This might give you a good overview of the most straight forward way of creating smoke in Fusion:
http://compositing.tv/Research/SmokeSimulation/

You can do really fancy things about the dynamics of the particles, but the lighting will be mostly a combination of tricks with duplicating the smoke, creating additional emissions, masking and color correction.

The method above is good for making thin or distant smoke. For dense plums with interactive lighting, which you see close up, you should look for other solutions.
www.compositing.tv

Clayton Von Isaacs

Re: question regarding particle system to create smoke plume

PostThu Jun 18, 2015 2:49 am

Cool. Thanks man. Appreciate it.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Return to Fusion