Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

OpenEXR channels and Stereo Workflow.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ilya Obukhov

OpenEXR channels and Stereo Workflow.

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am

I wanted to ask the BlackMagick, any plans to add full support exr channels for Fusion, that did not need to drag out the same file many times to use all the channels from a file? Continue to work with all of them as you like, using not only the preset channels.

And plan to support work with stereo in a single stream, to not have to maintain two branches composite for both eyes and copy nodes for the second eye?

Blazej Floch

Re: OpenEXR channels and Stereo Workflow.

PostTue Jun 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Valid request.

There was some discussion about this in the past.
The current state is that you can only make use tools that do not change the geometry of a stacked stereo image (which is kind of like a single stream for color corrects and such).

Obviously with blurs etc. this won't work.

BUT here is why by design - in my personal view - the effort is not worth it.
It is a nightmare to create and maintain a userinterface that secretly applies things to other channels.
The real pain comes when you want to alter settings for a certain channels.
This is solved with instances pretty much.

Now this might be only one view on things but I noticed in my own work and the work of most other compositors - even these who work with tools that allow a single stereo stream(!) - that at the end of the day you will have to separate node branches anyway.

Let's face it: Stereoscopic compositing is ALL ABOUT the differences in the plates. (I wish it wasn't :) )
Therefore I anticipate that the stereo interface would make the interface harder for non stereo jobs, but ultimately you would loose all the benefits that node based compositing give if you keep these workflows hidden in the properties.

Instancing works quite well. There could and should be some tools to make the workflow with two branches easier for sure! IMHO that is where the effort should be put in.

Return to Fusion