Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Depth of Field with ZDepth Map.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Monaco Felice

Depth of Field with ZDepth Map.

PostSat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 am

Hello!
Tell me please, how I can make effect Depth of Field if i have ZDepth map (3D renders pass)?
I tried using DepthBlur node, but the entire image is blurred, without regard to the ZDepth map.
Please explain how to connect the Depth render pass to get the correct result.

Kyriakos Rissakis

Re: Depth of Field with ZDepth Map.

PostSat Jun 27, 2015 8:30 pm

I do not know much about 3d passes so excuse any amateur's terms. If i had a depth map of my clip and wanted to see DOF i would feed the clip to an image Plane, displace3d the plane with my map, feed the displace3d to a renderer3d, choose OpenGL Renderer and use Accumulation Effects- Depth of Field. I would be interested to know if this works, i have not any material to test it right now but it seems like a good way to go.
I forgot to say that if you use a camera you can adjust the effect changing Plane of Focus value in the camera settings.

michael vorberg

Re: Depth of Field with ZDepth Map.

PostSat Jun 27, 2015 11:20 pm

if you have the depth map in a different file use a loader to bring it into fusion
then you can use a channel boolean node to combine the depth rendering into the beauty rendering
in the depth blur node you leave the input channel to z and use the picker for the focal point to set you in focus object

play with the other sliders to your needs

remember that fusion expects the Z channel as unnormalized values, with real negative distance from camera (= objects further away have big negative numbers, objects near to the camera have small negative numbers)

you can always use a grade node to convert any rendering to this specs.

a other way to use a depth map rendering is to connect the BG input in the depth blur with the beauty rendering, the green input with the depth map image and choose in the depth blur which channel to choose as Z channel (red, green, blue, luma, alpha)

Return to Fusion