Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Creating a fuse

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rob Capper

Creating a fuse

PostSat Jul 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Hello! I would like to create some custom '.fuse' files. I have a library of pixel bender files I made for AE and I would like to replicate them in Fusion. I am having trouble finding any sort of documentation though. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Chad Capeland

Re: Creating a fuse

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 6:50 pm

There's some help for Fuses on some other sites, like We Suck Less, but as for official BMD docs, no, those don't currently exist. I could walk you through a couple if you had something particular in mind.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Rob Capper

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Thank you for the offer, we are quite new to Fusion so are still learning the best ways to do things. I am replicating some Pixel bender filters. So the initial steps for me would be to have a fuse that takes two inputs, steps through per pixel for each input, does 'stuff' (maybe compares rgba pixel values) and then outputs data.

Did the docs ever exist? Could I look at eyeon Fusion docs somewhere?

I feel like I am fundamentally missing something, how are other people making these without a manual? It seems like a really powerful feature of the software.

Chad Capeland

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Rob Capper wrote:I feel like I am fundamentally missing something, how are other people making these without a manual? It seems like a really powerful feature of the software.

We looked at the samples, mostly, and the SDK docs. When we had questions, we asked the developers on the SDK and beta listserve. Some limited docs ended up on the vfxpedia, but they were far from complete. There's a ton of 3rd party samples out there, I released a few dozen myself, but yeah, it's been pretty seat-of-pants as far as development goes. Fuses were actually introduced back in Fusion 5.0, but there were no docs of any kind for it, so it took ages before any 3rd party ones were made. I'd hate for you to stumble through it like that again, but there's just no "official" docs for it now. If you want to wait, I understand, but if you do want to get into it, I'd start with We Suck Less.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Rob Capper

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 9:04 pm

I will grab as many fuses as I can to reverse engineer and check out 'We Suck Less'

Thanks for the help!

Yoni.Cohen

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 10:02 pm

[url]http://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless/viewforum.php?f=17
[/url]

Return to Fusion