Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Videocopilot-like tutorials for Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Chris Tempel

Videocopilot-like tutorials for Fusion?

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 3:15 pm

When I started learning After Effects five years ago, two things really helped me pick it up quick. One was "The DV Rebel's Guide" and the other was videocopilot.net

What I liked about Andrew's tutorials is that they were engaging, you came out with a cool shot, and through doing that shot you learned how the tools work. I've seen a few tutorials for Fusion, but they all seem to be made by people without much personality and honestly are a bore to follow. Anyone know of any good resources for learning Fusion that are in the same vein as videocopilot?

Kyriakos Rissakis

Re: Videocopilot-like tutorials for Fusion?

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Yeah, Andrew ticks "show webcam" in Camtasia settings while Stefan Ihringer does not.

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 am

Vito got personality and some great tutorials, though not all free...

https://vimeo.com/channels/confusion

And then you got Terry Riyasat's tutorials over at cmiVFX, also not free but seriously cheap compared to most other VFX e-learning resources out there, especially if you buy your tuts during their drives (which they do ALL THE TIME), like right now they offer 40% off using the code 'july40run' at checkout. :)

Here's their promo videos for these tutorials at Vimeo...

https://vimeo.com/user694829/videos/sea ... /sort:date
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Sander de Regt

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 11:07 am

Maybe it's not lack of personality, but lack of good audio equipment to make them sound like a talkradio-host. The first tutorials Andrew did weren't as spectular either.
It's his core business. (in addition to all the ancillary stuff like Element 3D and the stock footage stuff.

Most tutorials for Fusion are made 'by the people for the people' so they are nowhere near as polished.

One word of advice though: if you want more tutorials, don't call people who make them bores.
It's really not motivating.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ivan Ivanov

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 2:05 pm

That's the phenomenon I've always found peculiar - the notion that a tutorial about vfx software/technique needs to be talk show-like entertaining in order to reach its public more easily. Eyeon has suffered big time losses because of it - they had a great product, but were out maneuvered by more "entertaining" presenters of lower softwares (not only AE).

Back in the days, when I first saw this tut presenting the new material capabilities in Fu:

I was like "Wow, that's the real thing, VCP can go eat dirt". One such short and "boring" tutorial gives you far more knowledge and ideas than a number of videos how to use presets and user friendly templates.

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 2:43 pm

I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have fun and that is also something I prefer for tutorials, be it Andrew Kramer or Destin at "Smarter Every Day". And that isn't implying I have anything against the people doing doing that type of tutorials, that's just me, my taste, my preference. :)
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 3:04 pm

Personally, I find it to be the equivalent of chartjunk. It doesn't get the information across in a more efficient manner, so it's not just superfluous, it's distracting. If you want to subscribe to a youtube channel that you watch once daily for entertainment, fine. If you need to learn something right now because you have a shot that needs you to get up to speed right now? Nah, just give me what I came here for.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chris Tempel

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks for some of the links, I'll look into those. I don't mind paying if it's good information and can hold my attention. Entertaining isn't quite the right word, but I'd say upbeat. Someone that loves what they do and their passion carries over through the tutorial.

Johnny Farmfield

PostThu Jul 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:Personally, I find it to be the equivalent of chartjunk. It doesn't get the information across in a more efficient manner, so it's not just superfluous, it's distracting. If you want to subscribe to a youtube channel that you watch once daily for entertainment, fine. If you need to learn something right now because you have a shot that needs you to get up to speed right now? Nah, just give me what I came here for.

For that kinda stuff I usually go for the manuals or written tutorials, but for tutorials I just have it way easier to learn/watch if there's a lot of personality included. Doesn't mean it needs to be houmorus, like one of my favourite tutors is Rohan Dalvi... :D

Jeff Ha

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 7:53 am

While I could care less for the Mac, I do believe once Fusion becomes available on that platform more training will surface. I think even the more traditional training sites like Lynda, DT and Fxphd are holding off until that happens as well. Hopefully Fu8 will appear earlier this quarter than later.

Johnny Farmfield

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 9:39 am

Jeff Ha wrote:While I could care less for the Mac, I do believe once Fusion becomes available on that platform more training will surface. I think even the more traditional training sites like Lynda, DT and Fxphd are holding off until that happens as well.

How is your reasoning for this proposition? And I really don't mean that negatively or as critisism, I really want to know why you think a Mac version will impact tutorial production... :)

Seeing Apple's handling of their pro graphics and audio business (both in regard to hardware and software) these last years, I was really surprised to see BMD porting Fusion to OS X - I would think porting it to GNU/Linux would be a more reasonable move seeing Linux has become the preferred OS for most bigger VFX studios these last years... Personally I started out on Mac's back in '89 but I dropped OS X fully some 5 years back as it became obvious Apple cared a lot more about Iphones than their pro segment...

Jeff Ha

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm by no means pro-Mac, in fact I'm quite the opposite. I too, like you, have seen the writing on the wall from how Apple hands the "pro" side of things these days. Even the iPhone is aging as they struggle to keep up with fierce competition. All that aside, that still doesn't negate the fact Mac Book Pros and iMacs simply sell a lot of units and are still a predominant platform for creatives.

A vast majority of tutorials created for any piece of creative software, whether it's Maya, Houdini, After Effects, Nuke, Resolve, etc are mainly created on Macs as that's what the trainers have and prefer. If you look at trainers like DT, VCP, Gnomon, FXPHD, Lynda.. most courses are developed using Mac.

I'm basing my opinion solely on the popularity of the platform as whole in the creative community and it could be why BMD considers that an attractive customer base. Just like iOS, you have to build to where the largest number of customers are, regardless of the issues involved. :)

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what is in Fusion 8 as I'm still running through CMIVFX tuts to get back up to speed after having not touched it since maybe v5. (on the teleportation tutorial now)

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Ivan Ivanov wrote:Eyeon has suffered big time losses because of it - they had a great product, but were out maneuvered by more "entertaining" presenters of lower softwares (not only AE).

I think a huge element of what's kept Fusion from a wider public is both price and availability on the Mac platform. Now that's about to change, and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of years from now, Fusion is a dominant force again.

Then again there's this whole business of Adobe buying The Foundry...
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Vladimir LaFortune

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Believe it or not the tutorials that I learned the most about industry were those for Nuke. Even though I don't ever touch Nuke I regularly watch them to see how people break down things and solve problems. There was an awesome one from FXPHD about Nuke Digital Environment where the guy talked more about what makes great environment than the app itself. Of course Nuke at the time had that awesome godray node while Fusion didn't have anything comparable out of the box so we had to download some Fuse if Im correct to achieve that volumetric light effect. It was a workaround but still applicable no matter what.

Johnny Farmfield

PostFri Jul 10, 2015 10:52 pm

^ this. And then some. I think I never learned more about compositing that renovating a couple of old Land Rovers over the years - though it might sound insane, it's all about problem solving and how you tackle what you know, how you research and do RnD for what you don't know - and in what order. And sitting in front of a computer, it's just harder to create a good routine for breaking down a complex problem that having a broken gearbox in front of you and having to physically do that breakdown and asses how the hell you're gonna get it back to working order. But interestingly enough., what you learn from doing something like that is still directly applicable to breaking down a problem in Fusion - or Nuke, Houdini, TP, whatever really... :)

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Jul 11, 2015 7:30 am

Kyriakos Rissakis wrote:Yeah, Andrew ticks "show webcam" in Camtasia settings while Stefan Ihringer does not.

Ha :-)

Andrew is a native speaker while I'm not. The jump cuts would make for a very distracting video.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Kyriakos Rissakis

PostSat Jul 11, 2015 1:33 pm

[quote=Andrew is a native speaker while I'm not. The jump cuts would make for a very distracting video.[/quote]
Actually i was being ironic.I learned more essential things from your videos so... keep it up and thank you.

Jeff Ha

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 7:07 am

CMIVFX just released a Fusion Basics course:

https://cmivfx.com/store/643-Fusion+Basics+NEXT

Chris Tempel

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Lynda or FXHD would be
Jeff Ha wrote:I think even the more traditional training sites like Lynda, DT and Fxphd are holding off until that happens as well.

That'd be great if they jump on board. I'm picking up Fusion fairly quickly, but there are some nuances about how it works that don't make sense offhand to me, so hopefully some good tutorials on doing stuff will clear that up for me.

Jeff Ha

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 11:04 pm

Chris Tempel wrote:Lynda or FXHD would be
Jeff Ha wrote:I think even the more traditional training sites like Lynda, DT and Fxphd are holding off until that happens as well.

That'd be great if they jump on board. I'm picking up Fusion fairly quickly, but there are some nuances about how it works that don't make sense offhand to me, so hopefully some good tutorials on doing stuff will clear that up for me.

same boat here. Been using AE for years and was on track with the Nuke training certification years ago when it first came out but dropped out. Fusion will be a companion app for me w/AE, especially for freelance work. With little info released on what will be in F8, I'm hesitant to jump on board completely until I know what is still missing.

I just bought the Fusion Basics from CMIVFX on one of their deals but have only gotten through the first 30 min. So far so good. I back-tracked to the basics after looking at some of CMIVFX's other tutorials where some parts of the comp weren't discussed. This will fill in the blanks.

Chris Tempel

PostThu Jul 16, 2015 12:11 am

Jeff Ha wrote:I just bought the Fusion Basics from CMIVFX on one of their deals but have only gotten through the first 30 min. So far so good. I back-tracked to the basics after looking at some of CMIVFX's other tutorials where some parts of the comp weren't discussed. This will fill in the blanks.

Good to know, I'll have to give that a look. Thanks for the info!

Vladimir LaFortune

PostThu Jul 16, 2015 11:21 pm

FXPHD did have a course for Fusion. It was very thorough as far as I can remember.

Jeff Ha

PostFri Jul 17, 2015 7:44 am

yup it was good as well. It's not in the vault for this term at FXPHD, so people will have to wait till it pops up again, maybe in October. Hopefully by then Fusion8 will be available with more stuff to learn. :)

Vladimir LaFortune

PostSat Jul 18, 2015 12:35 pm

This thread inspired me to go through my tutorials collection and I stumbled upon cmiVFX Fusion Basics for Fusion 6. That's an awesome tutorial! I completely forgot about it. Unfortunately its no longer available on their website so I suppose this Next thing is the replacement.

Return to Fusion