Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fun in the Sun - music video composited in Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sander de Regt

Fun in the Sun - music video composited in Fusion

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi,

I've been fiddling with Blender for a couple of months now and decided the only way to really improve myself was by doing a full project from start to finish.

This is the result. A 90 second music video of a singing sunflower and a cute little cartoon kitten.
I wrote the song, played it and did the vocals together with my son.

I created the flower and kitten in Blender. I used Syntheyes to track my puppeteering motion capture marker as a planar object, that drives most of the broader animation.

The rest of the animation was done in Blender, rendered through Sheep-It Renderfarm which cut down rendertimes from about 3 full days to less than 8 hours.

Compositing of the final images was of course done in Blackmagic Design's Fusion.
I hope you enjoy the video. Let me know what you think.

Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Remco johannes

Re: Fun in the Sun - music video composited in Fusion

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 1:33 pm

good job!!!!

Maybe a bit more movement in de backgroud. (slowly moving clouds??)
And maybe some movement in de Z for the "singers"
I can't say i like the music much :mrgreen: lol

All in all not bad at all

Disclaimer, i have no idea what i'm talking about, i just start scratching the surface

Remco Johannes

Sander de Regt

PostThu Jul 23, 2015 1:35 pm

The clouds *are* moving slowly. I tried some more motion in the Z-depth but it became very distracting quickly. And as for the music: I was aiming for a Nyan Cat-like earwurm. :)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Jeff Ha

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 11:42 am

nice! It would have been cool to see some nice sun highlights on the characters and boost the sunny colors, especially since they are talking about fun in the sun. Right now the characters look like they are outside in an overcast sky. Maybe add a bright/warm keylight and regrade appropriately?

Johnny Farmfield

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 5:14 pm

How you can look at this and take note on details is beyond my comprehension. Even if turning off the sound, I still find myself in that spot between hysterical laughter and absolute terror. :? :shock: :D
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jul 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Jeff Ha wrote:nice! It would have been cool to see some nice sun highlights on the characters and boost the sunny colors, especially since they are talking about fun in the sun. Right now the characters look like they are outside in an overcast sky. Maybe add a bright/warm keylight and regrade appropriately?

I went for this look, because I felt that a harsher, more realistic light would make the characters less appealing. And of course the color temp of sunlight is actually more blueish than what we normally consider to be warm. Good suggestion though.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Kyriakos Rissakis

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 7:48 pm

A cat should not have a round iris in so much light(unless she is stoned). The rigging and modeling are good.

Johnny Farmfield

PostSat Jul 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Kyriakos Rissakis wrote:A cat should not have a round iris in so much light(unless she is stoned).

How can you have watched the video and still doubt the cat is stoned? It might even be that someone put pot in the box instead of poison so the cat might well be stoned and not stoned at the same time.
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Return to Fusion