Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 8 discussion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Yuri V. Nemets

Fusion 8 discussion

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 10:03 am

We've got new UI color, but checker color stays the same as in Fu7. Visually it looks like an image has a little alpha-channel. (See attachment)

Also I've noticed that new 3DCam pasted into Perspective view going into default (0.0.0) position, instead of position, inherited from POV of Perspective viewport, as in Fu7.
Attachments
fu8_checker_color.jpg
fu8_checker_color.jpg (115.16 KiB) Viewed 7091 times

Orestis Konstantinidis

Re: Fusion 8 discussion

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 10:31 am

Since this is about Fusion 8, is there somewhere we can learn about the new features? I can't find specific information on that.

Yuri V. Nemets

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 10:50 am

OpenGL renderer does not output Color channel, when "Enable Shadows" selected.

SvenNeve

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 2:08 pm

After playing around with it for 5 minutes:

Having FUSION_MasterPrefs present breaks Fusion 8 (again, same problem with 7.x)

Default settings are copied from existing Fusion 7 profile (resulting in crashing on new comp)

Scripts are missing, or the default profile that gets created doesn't properly set the path (as the scripts seem to be located in a Developer sub directory)

The UI is an unreadable clusterfrack, interface element separation (grouping/tabs/etc) is terribly unreadable (even more troublesome in the free version as that doesn't allow to load new themes or change the current.)

OpenGL 3DRender crash/hangup is still present ( 4 years and counting! )

OpenGL wireframe still uses shading color to draw wireframe.

visit my personal site : http://www.svenneve.com
visit my company site : http://www.houseofsecrets.nl

SvenNeve

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Some more:

Would be great if scripts with the .eyeonscript extension would still be loaded, rather than having to rename everything .lua and then break backward compatibility.

Default Python path preferences are greyed out, yet you can still change the option (changes only show up when switching from script to other pref options and back again.)

The console can't be switched to Python 2.7 (Python 2.7 not found.) even though the system has Python 2.7 installed (does Fusion need Python env vars to be set these days?)

Script Debugger is gone?

You can add views that are not supported by the free version, yet the warning that it is not supported only pops up once you try to remove the added view.

Cyril Martakov

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 2:37 pm

It's a biiiiiiiiig shame on all developers of Fusion from old team and new one!!! The very old bug with pSpown have traveled to all new versions. The bug with nesting the color from parent particles. The last version of Fusion where it worked was 6.1.

SvenNeve

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 3:49 pm

And some more...

Scripts still use FONT definitions that break IUP (seems these scripts still use IUP 2.x FONT definitions, while Fusion uses IUP 3.x)

Hotkey Manager is broken (searches for eyeon.scriptlib)

GL3DView shortcuts R,G and B still switch colors, would be nice if these where either disabled, or the C (center) shortcut gets changed to something else.

GL3DView Fit Selected and Fit All, still don't take Cameras and Lights in account.

GL3DView Marquee selection still doesn't take Cameras and Lights in account.

SvenNeve

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Anyway, i'm done with this for today, i'm not being paid for this.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Here's my preliminary list...

• Installer doesn't let you choose a destination.
  • No floating windows fixed in beta 2
  • Customized menus no longer work / Fusion.menus doesn't load
  • The Camera3D shift is flipped in the viewer model vs render fixed in beta 3
  • self:ZoomOut() and self:ZoomIn() don’t work in the spline editor. Neither does MMB+LBM/RMB click. fixed in beta 2
  • If you modify the layout to change the number of Views at all from the default, the “Zoom Control Area Up/Down” button breaks.
  • Viewer “Follow Active” is always greyed out.
  • Using Spline View, inserting 3rd control vertex in an animation B-Spline between the 1st and 2nd fast exits. fixed in beta 2
  • http://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=433
  • Some colors (mostly non-greens) don’t show a matching Key Markers in the Spline View.
  • DNG format has a lot of debayering artifacts. I’ve seen it on Ursa, BMPCC, and CION. They look fine in Photoshop or Resolve, but all look bad in Fusion. Can supply samples if needed.
  • Show Tips in Spline View doesn’t work.
  • Set Key in Spline View doesn’t work. Beta 2 update: Menu works, hotkey doesn't.
  • Copy Value in Spline View doesn’t work.
  • FBX Exporter, rendering .DAE, saves the data in a different thread? Fusion gives no indication that the render is going on, but 3 minutes later the file goes from 0 kb to 2000 kb. Seems unsafe, but also confuses the user and makes it possible for them to import the .DAE back into the comp it was saved from before it’s written, which of course makes errors.
  • Take a Text+, write out a few letters, feed output to a BC, increase brightness. Put an ellipse mask on the BC. Show DoD. Why is the DoD only covering the text? The Brightness is correctly masked, but the DoD isn’t expanded. Works as expected in 6.4.
  • PointCloud names and locations do not transform with the PointCloud object in the Viewer. Remain relative to origin.
  • Emergency autosave (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) isn’t working (Windows 8.1)
  • The Probe Rectangle’s preview control is 2x larger than the sliders, so that 0.5, 0.5 makes a full image rectangle.
  • Probe only works on 0-1 range images. Values outside of 0-1 are clamped.
  • fusion.MenuManager:GetMenus() crashes to desktop fixed in beta 2
  • “Show Only Active Comp” can’t be disabled (But no floating windows, so can’t really test) fixed in beta 2
  • Recent Settings not updating
  • No cascade / tile windows
  • Right side of the Spreadsheet doesn’t update when selecting new tool
  • The Status Bar in the lower left is broken. Shows pixel information (like from Viewers) when you hover over Controls.
  • Tracker flipbook transport buttons don’t work.
  • Tracker reference “Start && end”
  • Can’t use Delete key with B-Spline and Polygon mask shapes fixed in beta 2
  • Polylines Poly Keys dialog is titled “Fusion”
  • Polyline Ease In / Ease Out dialog doesn’t hide the lower slider when the checkbox is checked. The Polyline itself does not update when the slider is released, only when the dialog is closed. fixed in beta 2 (no longer a dialog at all, ala Fusion 7)
  • Double Polyline rendering randomly crashes Fusion (I will keep eye out for easy repro case).
  • So far have not seen any emergency autosaves. Is that working?
  • Non-zero Winding not working (uses Alternate instead).
  • Dragging a 3Cm from the toolbar to the 3D Viewer adds the camera, but does not set the viewer to use the camera as the PoV nor does it set the PoV to the camera
  • Despite preferences and pathmaps being set, no default autosaves are generated.
  • Dragging image in viewer with MMB is “slow”. Make a 1280x720 image, set layout to the one big viewer on top, zoom to 141%, MMB on the right edge of image and drag back and forth. Image will “fall off” the mouse pointer, and eventually your image will disappear. Actually, any MMB panning is broken. It's real bad in the 3D viewers.
  • APrx context menu missing.
  • Show Large (f4) not working.
  • All default scripts missing.
  • Blue multibuttons are nearly same color as “is modified” blue indicator. Implies by color that the UI element is modified, just as numerical inputs change their color to blue. Also, the blue coloring of the View edge when the Controls View is right up against the blue modified indicators on the left of the controls and they blend together, reducing readability.
  • Show Normalized Image should have 2 gradient bars, not 3. (Yes, this is probably my #1 issue, I'm not even sorry about that)
    fixed in beta 2
  • The Disk Cache and Comments icons in the flow view are too hard to identify. (just grey blobs)
  • Black text on dark gold selected tool control bar is too hard to read. fixed in beta 2
  • Checkboxes and label controls (the expand/disclosure arrow) are too similar.
  • The channel selector from the viewer control bar is always hot. Not a new issue, but exacerbated by the new skin. Considering that you can’t display an image without any active channels, and non-image viewers hide that control anyway, what’s the purpose of making it hot?
  • Fusion 7 allowed users to make their own View layouts, so why do we still have the 4 preset buttons in the toolbar? They don’t work at all if you do customize the UI to have extra Views, and will break your layout if you try. What actions they really do, moving the bar between Left and Right and zooming up/down the Controls are SUPER easy to do. For the comfort of old timers, have those buttons load .layout files?
  • InfoView and Console tabs no longer have a color indicator to alert the user to content.
  • Dragging tools from Flow View to Bins does nothing. fixed in beta 2
  • GUI background is blue, not grey. Messes with perceptions of color temp, which is bad for a color-critical app. See Resolve or previous versions of Fusion where background is neutral. fixed in beta 2
  • Vertical spacing of Controls View is too large. Looks to be maybe 30% larger than before? On a 1440 monitor, I can’t get 2 BC’s on without scrolling.
  • The Controls View “Window Shade” tool selection bars is gone, which means it’s REALLY hard to see where one tool ends and another begins, and it makes it really hard to see which tools are selected/active. I’m having a really hard time navigating the Controls, and I know what the layouts are. sort of fixed in beta 2. It's better, but still worse than F7.
  • The render range indicator in the Time Ruler is too dark relative to the background. Much harder to see now.
  • Colors in the Time Ruler are now very confusing. The proxy cache indicator and current time indicator are the same color, and the regular cache indicator and the keyframe indicator are nearly the same color. Partially fixed in beta 2
  • The buttons in the Tracker for Track Forward, Track Reverse, etc all look WAY too similar. I’m not even sure what they are supposed to be.
  • The black on dark blue text entry in the Console is too hard to see. fixed in beta 2
  • Context-sensitive help (helpmap) still broken.
  • The RGB channel indicators on the Viewer toolbar are too small. The change from stripes to dots is meh, but the change from large to tiny is bad. Too much negative space.

I haven't gone though all of these yet, but I'm crossing them off as I come across them.
Last edited by Chad Capeland on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 pm

SvenNeve wrote:The UI is an unreadable clusterfrack, interface element separation (grouping/tabs/etc) is terribly unreadable (even more troublesome in the free version as that doesn't allow to load new themes or change the current.)

Whoa, that's a feature difference between Lite and Studio? That's something I didn't know, and the evil part of me is giggling at the implications. :lol:
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

cmivfx

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 5:52 pm

i was coming to post bugs, but chad has half of them already on my list.

just to confirm on free version:

• tear off menus dont work on my machine (but should i hear)
• 8k textures on alembic animations are choking

but before i post more, i think i want to see who else posts similar. im not happy with just posting the bugs without seeing them in more than 1 comp each.

AS FOR THE UI BEING BLUE.... yea i saw that.... but for some reason, its not bothering me like i for sure thought it would. which leads me back to my oldest feature request.... i want a UI color picker to change the UI background to ANYTHING I WANT ON THE FLY.

when working on maynard keys, utilzing secondary colors for mixed channels would let me spot holes much faster. (im sure others would want it for looks... but not me. i need it for a purpose)

chris maynard
cmiVFX.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 6:15 pm

cmivfx wrote:i was coming to post bugs, but chad has half of them already on my list.

just to confirm on free version:

• tear off menus dont work on my machine (but should i hear)
• 8k textures on alembic animations are choking

but before i post more, i think i want to see who else posts similar. im not happy with just posting the bugs without seeing them in more than 1 comp each.

AS FOR THE UI BEING BLUE.... yea i saw that.... but for some reason, its not bothering me like i for sure thought it would. which leads me back to my oldest feature request.... i want a UI color picker to change the UI background to ANYTHING I WANT ON THE FLY.

when working on maynard keys, utilzing secondary colors for mixed channels would let me spot holes much faster. (im sure others would want it for looks... but not me. i need it for a purpose)

As to the tear off views, I can tear off the view tabs just fine, but I can't make a floating window for a comp, ala "New Window", meaning I can't put two comps side by side. So I'm not sure which one you are seeing.

For the blue, it's an issue because of HVS's "whitebalance" accomodation. We see relative colors, that's a well established phenomenon. All of my images will appear "warmer" than they would in Fusion <8 or in Resolve or Generation.

As to changing the colors of the GLViews, you CAN do that now. It's a property of each viewer. Doesn't affect the background of the console or flow view or whatever, but that's not the main issue. It's the background your images sit on that needs to be configurable (and it's REALLY cool in the 3D viewer, because with a black background, it matches the 3Rn output exactly).

For the 8K textures, can you check the debug to see if they really ARE 8K on the GPU? If they are smaller, then the resizing might be an issue. But it's possibly GPU dependent. For instance, on a K6000, Fusion won't let textures be larger than 8192, even though the GPU itself can do 16384.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Mark Rasmussen

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 6:46 pm

In regards to the second monitor. It is not easy, but I sort of got something working. selected window, then new floating frame (There are some serious issues though it crashes, f4 does not work to max the floating window) anyway then I selected a 2nd monitor layout and it had it on the second screen and then the other comp on the other. This should be looked at for sure.

cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Senior Compositor | VFX Supervisor
Enigma|FX

Mike Bozulich

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't yet found any new features in Fusion 8 beyond a new skin. Is this to be expected for Windows users for version 8? Or are new features coming in a later beta? Just curious.

Chad Capeland

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 12:26 am

Mike Bozulich wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't yet found any new features in Fusion 8 beyond a new skin. Is this to be expected for Windows users for version 8? Or are new features coming in a later beta? Just curious.

I think the new features are the OSX/Linux versions and the new UI that was the side effect of that. Windows users should, by the end of the beta, see a reduction in bugs compared to 7.7, but that's not guaranteed (as per the EULA). Feel free to report any variations from 7.7 as a bug, as well as any UI issues. I know it's hard to get excited about software and do thorough production testing when there are more bugs and less features than the current version, but if we all give a little bit of time, we can ensure Fusion 8.0 gets to be stable and feature complete relative to 7.7.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Stefan Ihringer

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 6:51 pm

When using multiple control panels, the UI was never really that good but it has gotten worse with the new skin:
  • The distance between some tool inputs is larger than between two tool control panels which makes it hard to see where the new tool panel starts.
  • When some tool control panels are closed, there's a line BELOW the tool's name which makes it appear even more as if that tool's name is part of another tool's controls.
Attachments
controlpanels.png
controlpanels.png (50.02 KiB) Viewed 6433 times
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Stefan Ihringer

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:
SvenNeve wrote:The UI is an unreadable clusterfrack, interface element separation (grouping/tabs/etc) is terribly unreadable (even more troublesome in the free version as that doesn't allow to load new themes or change the current.)

Whoa, that's a feature difference between Lite and Studio? That's something I didn't know, and the evil part of me is giggling at the implications. :lol:

The mac version has a Skins directory in its Fusion.bundle :-) It looks like it's png files instead of bitmaps now... but apart from that it looks as if I can start "hacking" my old skin back into Fusion 8...
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Chad Capeland

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Stefan Ihringer wrote:
The mac version has a Skins directory in its Fusion.bundle :-) It looks like it's png files instead of bitmaps now... but apart from that it looks as if I can start "hacking" my old skin back into Fusion 8...

:shock: Shhhhh! First rule of skin hacking club...!
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Yuri V. Nemets

PostFri Aug 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:First rule of skin hacking club...!

If this is your first build, you have to hack!

Return to Fusion