Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

time ruler woes

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Stefan Ihringer

time ruler woes

PostSun Aug 30, 2015 7:36 pm

The time ruler has been baffling me since Fusion 7 has introduced vertical keyframe markers. Sure, they are drawn on precisely the sub-frame time code that the keyframe is located on... but that fringe use case hardly warrants the (in my opinion) downsides of this:

timeruler.png
timeruler.png (13.68 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

• When keys are placed on integer frame numbers, why is the green line 1 pixel to the right of the line that denotes the frame's position on the time ruler? (see screenshot above)
  • Why do they need sub frame accuracy when the cache indicators as well as the current time cursor each have the thickness of a whole frame? If I had a penny for every time I've had to place key frames NOT on integer frame numbers, I'd have earned exactly zero pennies in a whole decade :-)
  • They are almost the same color as the cache marker. Is that the only reason why they couldn't be horizontal and/or span the whole frame? Wouldn't it make sense to choose a different color for key frames or cached frames instead?
  • A tracker or a baked animation creates a green inferno on the time ruler that makes it impossible to see the current render range:

timeruler2.png
timeruler2.png (25.07 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

(edited wording slightly)
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Chad Capeland

Re: time ruler woes

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 2:13 am

To add to this, the red CTI/playhead is almost the same color as the proxy cache indicator. So we have 7 things in the time ruler, but only use 3 colors. It's confusing.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Rony Soussan

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Agree on all points.
May I add that I don't like red unless it's to indicate error or n/a etc..

Sander de Regt

PostTue Sep 01, 2015 9:10 am

Can I add my pet request to this list?

I would really, really, really like it if the visual range of the slider could be set numerically like it was in Fusion 2.5+. Now if you're doing work on a small segment of a long comp, it's very difficult to set the time ruler to use only that portion of the comp you want to see. Also, if it gets really small, the time number indicators become illegible. (see attachment)
It would be most helpful if in this case the numbers would appear outside the small bar, so you could actually read them.
Attachments
Illegibletimeruler.jpg
Illegibletimeruler.jpg (1.68 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Rony Soussan

PostTue Sep 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Great point and I agree.
I have made that request in the 'eyeon' days, not sure why it was removed, but the UI changed at 3.0, so it very well could of been a UI issue, can't be sure though.

Rare, but good request.

SvenNeve

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 11:40 am

Can i also make time line feature request, one that has bothered me since day 1.

When entering the render start/end times the values are clipped to the Global start/end times, it would be nice that the global start/end time values would not clamp the render time settings, but rather would extend the global time settings to accommodate the new values (so it behave as in Maya when entering the render start/end times).

It's a small pet peeve, but switching Maya and Fusion all day this behaviour difference bothers me (maybe unreasonably so)

Sven

visit my personal site : http://www.svenneve.com
visit my company site : http://www.houseofsecrets.nl

Rony Soussan

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 4:28 pm

A bunch of changes coming to time ruler to address the feedback we received.
Including possible the global/render inputs

Let's wait and see where it's going beta 2

Return to Fusion