Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resize Question

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

David Mathis

Resize Question

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 12:29 am

I think I know the answer but tought I would ask, a newbie me am. I have HD footage, 1080p and adding some stuff from Rampant Design Tools to add some flare. The footage from RDT is in 4K resolution. I assume the resize tool will bring it down to HD resolution. Is this correct? Any settings in preferences to be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps there should be a basic forum for questions like these.

Sander de Regt

Re: Resize Question

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 8:28 am

Hi David, this forum is fine for all kinds of questions.

Yes, the resize tool will bring it down to HD resolution, but one of the nice things about Fusion is its resolution independence. You can use the size controls in the merge tool (the tool that you will most likely use to actually combine the footage with the flare) to adjust the size of your top element.
This way you will benefit from the full resolution of your images even in the comp.

I hope this helps to make it more clear for you. If it doesn't let us know.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

David Mathis

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 9:28 am

Thank you. Either there is something I am missing or there is a bug. When trying to use the merge tool method, it is not sized down as I would expect. I basically have some footage of a white circle over a black background and set the mode to multiply. I still see the background footage in its entirety, not just where the white circle is. The resize tool does fix this.

The other thing I am noticing is with the scale tool. I decided to scale down the white circle but when I do I notice where the multiply function works only to see the entire background, except where the black is. I was thinking I would see less of the background but outside the scaled down footage the background still appears. I am missing something or Fusion has a bug. Confused at the moment. Only thing I can think of is scale down the footage merge that over black and merge over the background. Let me know if that makes sense. Very new with Fusion so apologies for newbie questions. Been used to using Motion.

EDIT:

Never mind the second paragraph, was having a blonde moment. :lol: I figured out was going on there. In temporary state of confusion. ;)

Sander de Regt

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 9:35 am

I am not sure what it is you're trying to do. But it is most likely new user error.
Don't worry. We'll guide you through it.

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean by 'I still see the BG footage in its entirety'?

Also be very specific about using the term 'background'
You say you have a 'white circle over a black background' do you mean that the 1080p footage is black (that would be the background footage) or that you have a black image with a white circle on it, that you want to put on top of your HD footage?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

David Mathis

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 9:56 am

I figured out what was going on.

The white circle over black background was some of the fil FX from Rampant Design Tools, poor explanation on my part earlier. Background footage was just a video of traveling on a highway. By scaling down the footage from RDT, well that worked like it should, just like scaling down other footage, which resulted in what I tought was an glitch but was not. Hoping that makes better sense.

What still puzzles me is the merge tool setting. I believe you are talking about the reference size setting, something like that. So that could be an error on my part.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 10:02 am

I almost never use the reference setting. That can be useful for precise transformations, but usually I'll eyeball it.

I am still not sure what you mean by this though

By scaling down the footage from RDT, well that worked like it should, just like scaling down other footage, which resulted in what I tought was an glitch but was not. Hoping that makes better sense.

What was the glitch you were experiencing? Either way I am glad you got it sorted out.

Remember: we're here to help.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

David Mathis

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 10:08 am

I thought the glitch was when I was scaling down the footage. Anyways, a snapshot of what I should be using in the merge tool would be nice, if you have the time.

I have a mild case of Asperger's syndrome which would explain my bit of anxiety. Glad to see this forum, and thank you for your help. Fusion is a different beast but worth learning.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 10:13 am

The other way around would be more helpful, because what it is you need to use changes from case to case. If you make a screenshot of your setup and/or post the comp in this forum (select all tools in your flow, copy and paste between the 'code' tag) it's much easier to help you, since without seeing your setup I cannot advice you.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

David Mathis

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 10:17 am

Not in front of computer at moment but will do so later today.

David Mathis

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 8:41 pm

I went back and found the setting you were describing in the merge tool. Thank you for help.

Return to Fusion