Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Timeline filter

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Saso Bogdanov

Timeline filter

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 10:18 am

I often need to retime big compositions (not with the tool, but moving keys). It's easier to retime if you see all the keys on one page of the timeline when you select entire composition (all tools). But most projects are to big to fit on one page (even if you set "All lines size" to minimum). So i click "All Tools" button and tick "Animated", which displays only animated tools. But here is the problem...

- if you animate Text+ (using Character level styling or Follower), and you set some keys in Modifiers, this tool than isn't displayed in "Animated" timeline.

- if you "modify with shake" any tool, it is displayed in timeline even if you dont set any keys in Modifiers tab

- there are some tools, that are always in "Animated" timeline even if you dont touch anything (example: pRender)

Point is, that there is too much tools in "Animated" timeline... Is there a way to filter ONLY tools which has keys that i set (movable keys)?
As far as i know this is problem in all versions of fusion including 8.

Thank you!

Rony Soussan

Re: Timeline filter

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 4:21 pm

I'll try custom filter that includes the modifier.
Not in front of computer right now, will jump on it soon.

(on phone)

Chad Capeland

PostSun Sep 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Rony Soussan wrote:...will jump on it soon.

(on phone)

Full Fusion 8 for Windows Phone 10? Or just as a touch input for transport, color controls, and hotkeys?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Saso Bogdanov

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 10:16 am

Thank you Rony...

Any updates?

Rony Soussan

PostThu Sep 10, 2015 8:55 pm

if you have a tool, with a modifier, the modifier doesn't show up in timeline as it isn't animated, it's simply feeding results to the parent control.
while those results 'animated' the value of the parent control, they aren't animated in a way that can have keys assigned to them, which is why value itself is blue not and not green. That control Has no keyfames.
The modifier will do what it does as it's most likely math, not keys, however... that being said, if you modifier has keys to control that math, then those will show up.

For instance, modify with shake. Set modifier key at frame 1 for smoothness to be 0, then at 100 to all 25 , then those two keys show up in timeline, as they are fixed key values.
Now, you can adjust the timing of when these modifiers start/stop or change their behavior, but not until you explicitly have something keyed that can be changed.

If you drag and drop the modifier into the spline view, you will see the associated curve from that formula.
If you want to tweak the formula results curve, then you would use the spline view to visualize that while changing your keys for that modifier.

Hope this helps.

Saso Bogdanov

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 am

Yes, i understand that... Thank you.

It's just too bad, that we don't have filter like i described in first post. Maybe some day ;)

Return to Fusion