Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to cache animation?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Paulo Madeira

How to cache animation?

PostSat Sep 05, 2015 6:04 pm

I have this 4 seconds of animation that I rendered and exported all the Open Exr passes.

The problem is when I press play the video takes forever to run.
I believe there is some trick to cache the animation so that It runs faster at the second try right?

Can someone point out were is that or what other method I could use to speed up my preview?

Here is my Fusion image:

Thank you

Rony Soussan

Re: How to cache animation?

PostSun Sep 06, 2015 5:20 am

how much ram does your system have?

michael vorberg

PostSun Sep 06, 2015 9:49 am

fusion tries to cache everything at the moment you put it in the viewer. you should see how much of the current selected tool is cached by the green indicators in the timeline.
but it does RAM preview on default, so the amount of availible RAM limits the amount of cached frames.

if you select the last merge in your comp, put it in to the viewer and press play you should see that in the timeline a green indicator grows after each frame displayed. these are the frames you can play in realtime.

if you dont have enough RAM to replay the whole sequence you can also use the "disk cache" option in each tool (use it only on the last tool of the flow you dont change any more). to do so hit the small "disk" icon in the tool you want to cache. (see the user manual at page 172 and 324)

some general questions to your screenshot:
you have the last merge put into both viewers (both viewer indicators are white), that seems unnecessary to me

then i can see a OCIO node in your flow? what does this one do? because you also have a LUT active in the viewer? linearizing footage should happen before you do any operations in comp and if you work with EXR files they should be in linear space already.

Paulo Madeira

PostSun Sep 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I have a imac (2009) with 12 gigs of ram.

Is there any way I can save my scene with all the assets in one file and share it so that other can take a look?

Thanks
Madeira3d

Return to Fusion