Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

[Feature Request] default saver file format

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mark Rasmussen

[Feature Request] default saver file format

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Hey Rony,

First off, in beta 2, I would just like to say thanks for making the loader file name string show the end of the string, instead of the beginning. I am more likely to change the name than the string. in 7 I always have to scrub to the end to do that.

the main request is, and it is very minor, but when you load a saver, would it be possible to have the saver default to something other than targa! Who the hell uses Targa any more! Anyway, having a preference that can change the default saver output format would be great. Maybe default out of the box to EXR or DPX to start.

cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Senior Compositor | VFX Supervisor
Enigma|FX

Steve Roberts

Blackmagic Design

Re: [Feature Request] default saver file format

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 5:47 pm

You can set the default of the saver to be whichever format you would like.

put a blank Saver on the flow, change the default format. RMB Settings-> Save Default.

Rony Soussan

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 7:23 pm

I appreciate the cudos, but I had nothing to do with that one!

Mark Rasmussen

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 11:32 pm

Steve Roberts wrote:You can set the default of the saver to be whichever format you would like.

put a blank Saver on the flow, change the default format. RMB Settings-> Save Default.

Hey Steve,

Thanks once again for responding to what seems like really obvious requests. However, establishing a default output, in my humble opinion, within the preferences seems more obvious to the average user.

However since you can do this to every tool, I would guess this makes more sense overall, it's just that the saver is the most obvious place people want to establish standards. I am just wondering if there is a different way to allow people to find and establish defaults. It is not obvious, me asking for the option to be done differently and forgetting yet again that this can be done this way, sort of makes my case... or I guess I need to check things out more before making stupid requests :-) It is right in the manual...

Cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Senior Compositor | VFX Supervisor
Enigma|FX

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 6:11 pm

The problem with saver default settings is, that it also remembers the saver's name, the chosen file and all the other settings. You can edit this with a text editor... but maybe there should be a way to make this easier to control.... similar to the macro dialog where you can uncheck those inputs you don't want to include in the default.

On the other hand... you can easily create such a stripped down tool just to save a setting. Except for the tool name. Maybe that shouldn't be included in presets at all (except if it was changed. I remember there's an scripting attribute that indicates whether the tool's name has been changed?)

cheers

Stefan
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Ivan Ivanov

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 6:41 pm

The saver's name will be Saver1 either way and the chosen file (is this the path and file name?) will be blank if you don't put anything there before saving default.
The rest of the settings will be as you want them to be, so that's the point really, and the frame rate (QT, AVI) is not auto saved but derived from comp's preferences, which is cool.

Return to Fusion