Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Building Tools Using Scripts

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

David Mathis

Building Tools Using Scripts

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 8:21 pm

Wanting to make my own tools using scripts to build my own tools. What is the best place to start? Wanting to do some more advanced stuff.

Thinking about building a custom tool for film damage look to add to footage.

Would include: scratches, dust, dirt and flickering.

Would go with macros but not sure if you can custom name the settings. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Chad Capeland

Re: Building Tools Using Scripts

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 8:40 pm

The macro editor lets you rename any input. There's more you can do by editing the .setting file with a text editor, but at least for naming you can do that with the built in editor.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Rony Soussan

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Note, that you can edit the ascii file of your macro, and replace the MacroEditor with GroupEditor, and you will be able to work your marcro with flexibility of still having the tools as a group in the flow.

A tip, always have a dummy node at the tail end of you group/macro, as you cannot insert a node between the output of your group and the last node. Therefore, a dummy node for inserting tools is the way to go for that (hope that makes some sense)

Chad Capeland

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Rony Soussan wrote:Note, that you can edit the ascii file of your macro, and replace the MacroEditor with GroupEditor, and you will be able to work your marcro with flexibility of still having the tools as a group in the flow.

A tip, always have a dummy node at the tail end of you group/macro, as you cannot insert a node between the output of your group and the last node. Therefore, a dummy node for inserting tools is the way to go for that (hope that makes some sense)

You can from the ASCII, though. Just change what tool the output of the macro comes from. It's easier if you plan ahead, but it's not salvageable if you forgot.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

David Mathis

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Thank you. I have one other question.

I created a group of nodes, gave the group a new name and saved the settings. The nodes basically were used to make a film flicker, a mask and some scratches. I was hoping there was a way to have an input module on the node after it was saved out. Really not that big of a deal as I can connect it to a merge tool. I would also like to access it from the tool menu rather than saving it into a bin.

Also, would like to see the bin not only import files but import a folder with all the files in it. Would also like to see a list view and the icon view. Nothing major, just would be a nice little feature to have.

I am beginning to use Fusion as a way to stylize single clips, no digging through the various effects as the flow makes that chore easier and the tools are very nice.

Chad Capeland

PostMon Sep 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Any settings saved to one of the Macro: pathmaps will show up in the tool menu.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion