Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Multiple Rotoshapes in one node.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sean Pfeiffer

Multiple Rotoshapes in one node.

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 10:01 pm

I'm primarily a Nuke guy, but have been trying out Fusion to see if it would be practical to switch over to it. I like a lot of what Fusion does, but something I've noticed that may be a deal breaker for me is the way Fusion seems to handle roto. In other node-based apps like Flame or Nuke, if you create one roto node, you can create dozens or even hundreds of spline shapes to serve your purposes, but it appears that in Fusion, you would need to create a new node for every separate spline you want to draw. I could see that kind of workflow being okay for doing basic garbage mattes for GS work, or some very simple roto, but for any kind of shots requiring complicated rotoscoping, you would need dozens or even hundreds of splines and I don't like the idea of having so many nodes just for roto. Is there any way to have multiple spline shapes in one node? Or at least the ability to combine multiple polygon nodes into some kind of "wrapper" or "container to unclutter my batch?

Much thanks for any help.
Sean Pfeiffer

Chad Capeland

Re: Multiple Rotoshapes in one node.

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 10:08 pm

That's what Paint does. It wraps a bunch of tools into one so you can edit them from the same place.

That said, you can edit multiple masks at the same time, and the button for adding more is right in the viewer.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Stefan Ihringer

PostSat Sep 19, 2015 7:04 am

You can group your roto nodes to clean up your comp.
Apart from that, no, Fusion doesn't have the convenience of Nuke's roto node. But if you have a node for each spline you can branch off stuff or use blurs/erodes as intermediate steps... so it's mainly an issue of getting used to Fusion's way of doing it.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Marek Subocz

PostSat Sep 19, 2015 9:35 pm

to be more "flexible" use merges for connecting rotoshapes. this way You have access to each Roto separately.
Before grouping connect each roto to a wahtever node (and leave those nodes out of a group) - this is necessary to gain Group Output for each rotoshap. You cannot create outgoing connection from/ within group, You need to Ungroup / Regroup - it is kinda "stupid" but it is what it is...

Chad Capeland

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 2:31 am

Marek Subocz wrote:to be more "flexible" use merges for connecting rotoshapes. this way You have access to each Roto separately.

But you lose automatic resolution, so you need to make sure your masks are rasterized to the correct size manually.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Mark Rasmussen

PostMon Sep 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:That's what Paint does. It wraps a bunch of tools into one so you can edit them from the same place.

That said, you can edit multiple masks at the same time, and the button for adding more is right in the viewer.

I don't think this should be compared to Nukes roto/Paint node. That tool has way more flexibility than using the paint node for roto specifically in fusion. In the Paint node in Fusion, yeah you can draw splines and shapes etc. but you don't have blend modes between shapes, it is not logically ordered. You can group strokes and do blend modes on the groups.

I would not use Paint for managing your roto..

Cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Senior Compositor | VFX Supervisor
Enigma|FX

Sean Pfeiffer

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I would have responded earlier, but got uber busy unexpectedly. At the very least you guys have kept the possibility of switching over to fusion alive for me. Thanks a bunch.
Sean Pfeiffer

Return to Fusion