Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Loading Clips

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Eric Bojonell

Loading Clips

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Im sure im missing something incredibly simple here, but I am just trying this software for the first time. Whenever I import a clip or use a loader I have no thumbnail and the clip and/or still image doesn't show up in the left or right monitor. If I hit play, it seems to "play" but no video or audio.

I have tried .wmv, .avi, .mp4, .jpg. The .mp4 ACTUALLY shows the preview in the tools windows but that's it. The other formats just showed a black image or the icon of the format.

What am I missing?

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro, 8GB of RAM Core i5 and a Radeon HD 7000 video card (not optimal specs, but I would think enough to display a video)

Thanks

Eric Bojonell

Re: Loading Clips

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 7:28 pm

I tried this an a different computer and the results were slightly different...but no better. Anytime I tried to import a clip (this time I tried an mp4) it hung there indefinitely and locked up the program

Chad Capeland

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Do other tools that don't have clips work ok?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Eric Bojonell

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Define working =) I can bring any tool into the flow. I tried a 3d text bin item but I didn't see anything show up. I tried a particle accelerator and didn't see anything either...but I am very open to not knowing exactly how to use those. I tried attaching a glow and set it show up in screen 2 and the main image in screen 1 and neither one showing anything on either workstation.

Eric Bojonell

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 10:09 pm

I got it working, it turns out it was a graphic drivers issue. I was getting 24 frames per second play back until I added a tool or added the audio and then it went down to 1.229 frames per second and then not sure why it was doing that though.any ideas

Chad Capeland

PostWed Sep 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Fusion isn't a realtime compositor.

Once your frames are cached, though, playback is generally limited only by monitor refresh.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Eric Bojonell

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 12:57 am

Well how can you preview a particle effect then? Just have to apply and render and make adjustments after you see it?

Chad Capeland

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 1:47 am

"Render" in the context of Fusion just means to compute the output data for a tool. So the pRender tool, placed in a Viewer will trigger a render and you will be able to play that back. But it's not realtime while it is rendering, only after it renders.

Fusion is VFX software, not realtime broadcast graphics software. Heck, Resolve isn't realtime either, neither claims to be.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Trevor Asquerthian

PostThu Sep 24, 2015 8:28 am

Have you set what you want to view to a viewer?

Eg drag the node to the view window, or select the node and press 1 to view on left?

Return to Fusion