Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Simple Masking ?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Bernhard Rieder

Simple Masking ?

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:17 am

I am missing something very important, just can't figure out what I am doing wrong here :?

Thanks for any little help,
appreciate it !

Chad Capeland

Re: Simple Masking ?

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:29 am

Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like your mask is 1.0, but is some middle grey, which would explain why the result is partway between green and blue.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Bernhard Rieder

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:46 am

right... I am using a Vray-MultiMatte 32bit floating. And I would need to make sure, that the mask is "solid". Hmm.. when using 32bit, isn't there any other tool I can control the Alpha Channel only ?

Mark Rasmussen

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 2:10 am

That matte is representing your transparency not your object matte. Make a object matte and this will work.

cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Senior Compositor | VFX Supervisor
Enigma|FX

Bernhard Rieder

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 2:12 am

hmm.. I found a workaround using the Channel Boolean Tool. But I think my node-work is to complicated. Look, and see how I did it.

Isn't there any easier way to do that ?
I mean.. to get a clean mask from my RGBA Multimatte ?

Curious about your thoughts, ideas and hints !
and like always.. highly appreciated !

Thank you so much !

Bernhard Rieder

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 2:15 am

@Mark:
hmm.. sorry just saw your post.. right after I created mine... you are saying, I should use an object matte.. ok.. I was searching for a tool called Object Matte... but wasn't able to figure out what exactly you meant... hmm... are you talking about the ObjectID Pass ?

Usually that pass doesn't give you the correct AA.. since you are not using true RGB Channels...

Mark Rasmussen

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 2:26 am

Bernhard Rieder wrote:@Mark:
hmm.. sorry just saw your post.. right after I created mine... you are saying, I should use an object matte.. ok.. I was searching for a tool called Object Matte... but wasn't able to figure out what exactly you meant... hmm...

Sorry that was a bad response I gave. Since the MultiMatte (I am assuming this is what you are doing) creates a matte based in Gbuffer ID or Material ID. I am guessing you are using a Material ID. Since your material has a transparency component to it, it is coming out with gray values. You just need to make the matte based in an Object ID, (the Gbuffer ID). This should work correctly.

What you should get is a full white matte that represents the object, not it's transparency. So when this is put in the mask portion of the CC, it will only effect the teapot. Since it is full white, it will keep the mask control at 100%..

Again I am making some guesses as to what you are doing. It is not Fusion, it is how you are creating those multi mattes.

I hope that makes sense.
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Bernhard Rieder

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 3:50 am

Thx man.. I know now what you are talking about. However, it doesn't matter if you choose Material ID or Objects ID's to render out Multimattes.

I was running another test, and figured that the so VrayEnvironment Fog is causing that issue.
I need to contact Chaosgroup I guess and ask if it's possible to exclude the EnvFog from the Multimattes.

But that's why the Multimattes are "dimmed" and the main reason why they are not showing up with their full brightness and values.

Hmm.. really interesting... and would love to know now if there is a different workaround for this.
What you think about that ?

Mark Rasmussen

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 3:57 am

Bernhard Rieder wrote:Thx man.. I know now what you are talking about. However, it doesn't matter if you choose Material ID or Objects ID's to render out Multimattes.

I was running another test, and figured that the so VrayEnvironment Fog is causing that issue.
I need to contact Chaosgroup I guess and ask if it's possible to exclude the EnvFog from the Multimattes.

But that's why the Multimattes are "dimmed" and the main reason why they are not showing up with their full brightness and values.

Hmm.. really interesting... and would love to know now if there is a different workaround for this.
What you think about that ?

Glad you figured it out. As I said, I was not sure what exactly you where doing, I am used to Object ID's It is just simpler for me. I was just thinking for some reason the transparency was getting in there for some reason, but you are totally correct. It is just an ID so either way it should work.

Hmm, I have not run into this issue with the EnvFog, so I can't say for sure what to do. However, I would think off the top of my head that the Object ID would just deal with the object and not anything else in the scene. If you have not used that, and there may be a reason for that, give it a try and see what happens.

On the topic of colour ID passes. Personally I do not use them that often, I try to avoid them really. They will never produce correct edges when crossing over other object, even when using a coverage pass. My person policy is to render out objects separately. In feature work which I am involved with, this is more the norm. I do totally understand the logic behind it, and on occasion it can be helpful, but only for minor things and maybe a minor CC work. However if you push things it will always fall apart on the edges.

cheer
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Bernhard Rieder

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 4:10 am

Hmm.. well.. yes.. but still.. even if the Matt will be rendered fine then.. not sure if it would work without the Boolean Node inside of Fusion... will check it.. but if it works, then I guess it's simple... will run another test tomorrow and see how it goes....

thx for your input man.. appreciate it !

Mark Rasmussen

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 5:05 am

Bernhard Rieder wrote:Hmm.. well.. yes.. but still.. even if the Matt will be rendered fine then.. not sure if it would work without the Boolean Node inside of Fusion... will check it.. but if it works, then I guess it's simple... will run another test tomorrow and see how it goes....

thx for your input man.. appreciate it !

Oh sorry, you are talking about the red channel for example to be used in the alpha channel, well yeah you can do that. One other way, I have used is, if you render to an exr, when you load the file you will have, under format, the extra channels. You can fly this out with a click on the arrow below the OpenEXR Files label. Then turn off the GBA channels and you will have the red channel left. This will then show up in the alpha channel.

Another way which is not dependent on an EXR file. Is to just drop a LumaKeyer tool in after the loader and set the Channel to Red or Green or Blue. This will extract out that channel and put it into the alpha.

If you have a crazy multi colour type ID pass, then you will most likely have to create an expression using the custom tool, to extract out the colour correctly. You can also just key it out. Either way, the edged still become an issue.

Cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Mikhail Korovyansky

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 2:30 pm

to use ObjectID you need to render it as an integer (in exr buffer settings), not as RGB values (via render elements).. then you just need a bitmap mask in fusion with Use ObjID checked.. you also can use bitmap mask with your RGB masks, just select a chanell in bitmap mask and manipulate with levels.

Mark Rasmussen

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Mikhail Korovyansky wrote:to use ObjectID you need to render it as an integer (in exr buffer settings), not as RGB values (via render elements).. then you just need a bitmap mask in fusion with Use ObjID checked.. you also can use bitmap mask with your RGB masks, just select a chanell in bitmap mask and manipulate with levels.

Thanks Mikhail, for making this clear. I should have said how to get the Object ID I was suggesting you use. I would say this is the preferred way to come out of your renderer. However, I seem to understand you wanted to use the RGB MultiMatte passes or something like it. So using the LumaKeyer or the Bitmap with RGB passes will give the same result. If you want to control your Matte a little further for some reason using one tool, then LumaKeyer would do the job. However, this really does not matter either work great to get the channel isolated, if working with RGB channels only. The workflow itself, the one Mikhail suggests, is really the best for Object ID's. It is clean and offers simple extraction. This will be much better than what I was thinking you wanted to use, which was the multimatte thing in the render elements. Some people still like using the multi colour object ID concept and it can work, but requires a lot more work and the Object ID in the EXR file concept does the same thing with very little work and hassle.

edit: I forgot to mention, that using the object ID with the exr output will not give you AA edges, you seemed interested in that. So the pixels covering the blending is not there. Technically you would have to manipulate the object ID pass so those edge pixel grown out / expand and use the coverage pass to give you the edges you seem to want.
I have to say again, that this kind of manipulation has never worked perfectly, and should be used with caution! In my opinion anyway :)

Cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Chad Capeland

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 8:19 pm

You also won't get transparency, motion blur, depth of field, refraction, or reflection.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

michael vorberg

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 9:43 pm

for the multimatte material from vray the quickest solution would be to use a Bitmap Mask and set the channel to the color you want.

a long time ago i had a script which create 3 BitmapMask (Red/Green/Blue) from the selected node, assigend that to a shortcut and had a fast way to setup such masks

Mark Rasmussen

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 11:04 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:You also won't get transparency, motion blur, depth of field, refraction, or reflection.

Chad! We don't want to scare the guy, now! ;)
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Chad Capeland

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 1:22 am

I also have a fuse which will take an RGBA input and spit out 4 masks, one for each.

The problem with using objectID passes is that it takes a long time to work with them in the comp and they only work 30% of the time. I'd rather render proper mattes.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Mark Rasmussen

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 3:42 am

Chad Capeland wrote:I also have a fuse which will take an RGBA input and spit out 4 masks, one for each.

The problem with using objectID passes is that it takes a long time to work with them in the comp and they only work 30% of the time. I'd rather render proper mattes.

Well I hate working with this kind of approach, however when I have used it, Object ID's has been fine, it is easy to use also, but I have no speed issues or issues with it working, but as I said I only use it on a limited bases.

cheers
Mark Rasmussen
Enigma|FX

Return to Fusion