Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Handling of missing footage

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Stefan Ihringer

Handling of missing footage

PostSat Oct 03, 2015 10:53 am

This isn't specific to the Fusion 8 beta, but I'm posting it here anyways...

When a loader's footage is missing, Fusion behaves in a very awkward and potentially damaging way. I think everybody knows this popup:

duh_its_exactly_the_same_clip_as_before.png
duh_its_exactly_the_same_clip_as_before.png (32.04 KiB) Viewed 877 times

It pops up after I have located the missing footage. As you can see it's from a Windows comp that I've opened on Mac but of course it also happens when staying on Windows.

The dialog is horrible in my opinion. For one, it could make it more clear what "resetting" means (= treat this as a completely new footage) and what pressing no actually does (No = the right thing if you are updating the path of a previously missing piece of footage).

But what's even worse is that this dialog shouldn't pop up in the first place and it contains wrong information. The new clips is exactly the same as the old one but Fusion claims the old one had a length of zero frames. This, of course, isn't true. If you open up the comp file in a text editor and search for the loader in question, you can see that Fusion knows fully well what the missing clip's length, start and trim in/out values have been:

Code: Select all
            Clip {
               ID = "Clip1",
               Filename = "Project:\\elements\\plates\\PART2\\MVI_9334.mov",
               FormatID = "QuickTimeMovies",
               Length = 7056,
               Multiframe = true,
               TrimIn = 915,
               TrimOut = 1796,
               ExtendFirst = 0,
               ExtendLast = 0,
               Loop = 1,
               AspectMode = 0,
               Depth = 1,
               TimeCode = 0,
               GlobalStart = 915,
               GlobalEnd = 1796,
            },

Meanwhile, in the GUI, the loader is messed up. Fusion has forgotten about the trim in/out values even if it has preserved global in/out:

loader_missing_footage.png
loader_missing_footage.png (40.74 KiB) Viewed 877 times

Once I'm replacing the clip, the dialog pops up and over the years I've learned to press "No". The problems continue. In some cases Fusion will simply fail to update the loader or it will mess up the trim values anyways. I think when you have a Loader that is limited to part of your comp range you always need to make sure that you are inside that Loader's range before replacing the missing piece of footage but I've failed to create a repeatable setup.

There's one more thing that I've noticed while trying to update my Loaders:

I can't change the file path and press enter because Fusion won't recognize the changed path. I either have to press the tab key to jump to the next input or I have to use the file browser button.

Oh, and one last thing:

Can we please have a way that makes Loaders load the correct frames based on the current frame number? Making sure that frame x of a rendering actually ends up on frame x in comp is harder than it should be, especially when the start frame number of a file sequence gets updated.
blog and Fusion stuff: http://comp-fu.com/2012/06/fusion-script-macro-collection/

Rony Soussan

Re: Handling of missing footage

PostMon Oct 05, 2015 4:33 pm

When a loader's footage is missing, Fusion behaves in a very awkward and potentially damaging way. I think everybody knows this popup:

Yup, that one is old one, glad you brought that one up. It's actually even harder to script, as many here can contest.

I'd like to see a reconnect media option like we now have in resolve 12, where you can point to any root folder, and it will crawl through to find footage referenced in the project. I would so much prefer that over comp: for keeping my comps portable.

I can't change the file path and press enter because Fusion won't recognize the changed path. I either have to press the tab key to jump to the next input or I have to use the file browser button.

Agree, would like to see that be handled a bit smoother

Can we please have a way that makes Loaders load the correct frames based on the current frame number? Making sure that frame x of a rendering actually ends up on frame x in comp is harder than it should be, especially when the start frame number of a file sequence gets updated.

Add time stretcher, time offsets, irregular sequence number etc.. I agree on that, should be a way to know what frame your viewing.
I have in the past, when working a complex time stretching comp etc.., created a timecode sequence render that matches the numbering/length of the clips, when connected to instanced time tools, would let me know what frame on disk I am looking for.

All good points.

Return to Fusion