Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Multistroke cowardly refuses to alter duration

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Eugene Afanasiev

Multistroke cowardly refuses to alter duration

PostSun Oct 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Seams both fusion 7 and 8 doesn't operate properly with Pnt tool in modifier's tab when using multistroke: I can't change the duration in particular, neither in the timeline view, and most of its other controls also cowardly refuse to work!
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Eugene Afanasiev

Re: Multistroke cowardly refuses to alter duration

PostSun Oct 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Here it is:
Attachments
noStroke.jpg
noStroke.jpg (296.31 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
__
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

michael vorberg

PostSun Oct 04, 2015 9:00 pm

yeah, that is the strange multistroke:

you have to set the duration before you start to paint and cant change that afterward (but there is a script "edit multistroke" which converts the multistroke painting back to normal painting strokes which can then be edited

Rony Soussan

PostMon Oct 05, 2015 4:44 pm

Multistroke was designed to be only 1 frame, the only issue as far as design is that the feature should not even be visible as an option in multi-stroke mode.

The idea was to enable a fast touch up mode, this would allow many strokes per frame with no lag, and fast frame change to continue touch up painting.

Perhaps the feature should of been called 'touch up brush' or something of that nature. It is truly an amazing tool for paint paint paint, change frames, paint paint paint..

Eugene Afanasiev

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks. Interesting, I didn't think about it this way, however you can change the stroke duration before you use it. I'm sure being able to make changes to strokes procedurally on the timeline shifting left or right would be a cool addition! And Stroke, no matter what duration you set whether before or after it stays as long as the Paint node itself, and for now there is the con-fusion between them.
__

Rony Soussan

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 5:22 pm

however you can change the stroke duration before you use it

No you can't, you can adjust the slider but it's not paying attention. This is what I meant when I said it shouldn't even have the option listed, since by design, it only supports single frame painting.

Eugene Afanasiev

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 7:51 pm

I'm sorry I was referred to CloneMultistroke - that's what I've been using and found out that I'was out of stroke duration and wanted to stretch it but it couldn't.
Last edited by Eugene Afanasiev on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__

daniel.koch

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 6:16 am

Multistroke controls only apply to future strokes you make, and changing the controls doesn't affect strokes you've already made, unlike with regular strokes. You can certainly do multistrokes of longer than 1 frame duration, but this has to be set beforehand.

This is the main difference between regular and multistrokes, and was a decision made to enable much faster painting. We wanted the speeds of bitmap painting with the resolution independence and re-renderability of vector paint, but had to sacrifice easy editing. The only way to edit multistrokes after they've been painted is to use the Edit Multistroke script to convert them to single strokes first, as Michael says.

Rony Soussan

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi Daniel, Thanks for clarifying that. I have only used it for frame to frame touch up, and at that it works amazing.

Return to Fusion