Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Replacing nuke studio with fusion studio

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

peterhartwig

Replacing nuke studio with fusion studio

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 11:21 am

Hey there

I'm thinking about replacing my nuke studio setup with a fusion setup, but its really hard to find information about studio... so, i have a few questions...

1. Will fusion studio give me the ability to online an xml or aaf from an editor, and conform to whatever i need? And then give me a timeline with fusion scripts to jump in and out of?

2. what kind of integration with resolve can i expect? Ideally it would be amazing to have the two talk to each other, so i can grade and comp side by side to be able to deliver shots and sequences really fast.

3. can i use fusion pure command line (to assemble shots, add slates etc)

thanks

Peter

Rony Soussan

Re: Replacing nuke studio with fusion studio

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Studio has a program called Generation. This is like Hero, and it's where you bring in XML's from your edits.
It's from there you can assign comps to users, assign statuses, and create composition with version control right from the GUI.

That being said, the studio tools all support internal/external python and LUA deep integration, and Generation has been used via Python to run very large facilities, including integration into tracking systems like Shotgun.

Fusion7 has no support for integration in/out of resolve other than XML at the moment.
And yes, you can use pure command line, and as I said, Python 2, 3, and LUA to control fusion.

Fusion has many advanced user controls, like custom per user menu'system, bins, etc.. this way you can manage your user/shows via profiles etc..

Fusion is new to BMD, but over 20years of development has gone into and it's ability to integrate.

michael vorberg

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 8:39 pm

As great generation is, it is in my opinion not a tool for conform and finishing. It's a great production management tool, with superb version control and great tools for keeping track on the status of your show

But conform is not a strength of it: it's shot based and therefore you don't have the ability to load a reference QuickTime to check your imported edl/xml/auf against
You can't do simple timeline operations, like having 2 or more video tracks or retimes.

michael vorberg

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 9:38 pm

take a look at these videos to see what generation can do and if it is what you expected:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... LKjrAMjxQx

Rony Soussan

PostMon Nov 02, 2015 11:20 pm

It's not a conform tool, but Resolve 12 is, unfortunately no integration just yet.
But I know what your looking for

peterhartwig

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 9:07 am

Rony Soussan wrote:It's not a conform tool, but Resolve 12 is, unfortunately no integration just yet.
But I know what your looking for

sooooo does that mean it's not too far out in the future? :)

Johnny Farmfield

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 6:49 pm

Unless BMD are lunatics, they will of course phase Fusion and Resolve into a working relationship down the line, but this is obviously not something they will bother with until they got a cross platform version of Fusion up and running.

But just imagine that combination of Resolve as a editing, conform and grading tool paired with Fusion. If you implement a planar tracker and 3D camera tracker into that mix, you have a very, very powerful software combo...
*** Pushing pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years - www.farmfield-vfx.com ***

Rony Soussan

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Sounds awesome :)

Also, URSA mini camera now has 9 axis metadata embedded into image. Imagine that future!

Theodor Groeneboom

PostTue Nov 03, 2015 7:32 pm

-
Last edited by Theodor Groeneboom on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Hulten

PostWed Nov 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Rony Soussan wrote:Sounds awesome :)

Also, URSA mini camera now has 9 axis metadata embedded into image. Imagine that future!

Just a note! As far as I know the only camera that hopefully will get the the 9 axis gyro information imbedded is the 4.6K URSA mini EF version. And even this is something we dont know if it will change. The PL version apparently have removed gyro to be able to fit the b4 control unit.

Johnny Farmfield, Im with you on the combination of resolve, fusion + 3d camera nom nom nom

peterhartwig

PostMon Nov 09, 2015 7:04 am

Yeah that would be sooo sweeet.
Both having the tracked camera in there, and also having access to fusion straight from resolve.

To make the resolve integration even better, it would be amazing to have it not be tied to 'just' fusion. I love how in nuke studio i can set up a complete output file and folder structure writing out conformed plates, proxies and what not, in one go. I guess if there was just a bit of python integration, that would be a piece of cake?

Tony Hulten wrote:
Rony Soussan wrote:Sounds awesome :)

Just a note! As far as I know the only camera that hopefully will get the the 9 axis gyro information imbedded is the 4.6K URSA mini EF version. And even this is something we dont know if it will change. The PL version apparently have removed gyro to be able to fit the b4 control unit.

Johnny Farmfield, Im with you on the combination of resolve, fusion + 3d camera nom nom nom

Patrick Strenk

PostTue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 am

I sure hope the 9 axis gyro is still in the Ursa Mini 4.6K PL version. This and the GPS is a big draw for me to benefit work in post. I understand why the GPS was taken out of this version but I don't like it.

I am a long time owner of Fusion I am very excited for the future. I applaud BMD for there efforts to put affordable tools in creative hands.

Patrick Strenk
Patrick Strenk
Editor | Colorist | VFX

WIN 10 PRO X64 | DaVinci Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio 18.6.2 | Desktop Vid 12.5.1 | Mini and SE Panel | Intensity Pro 4K | 7980XE 18 core | 128GB RAM | RTX3090 | SSD OS drive | 2GB NVMe cache drive | 4x6TB RAID

Chad Capeland

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Patrick Strenk wrote:This and the GPS is a big draw for me to benefit work in post.

What benefit are you expecting to see? Other than logging footage with some extra metadata, which I'm sure would be awesome for a realtor or insurance adjuster, I'm not understanding what the draw is.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Patrick Strenk

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 2:46 am

I don't know for sure want BMD intends but I would think this 9 axis Gyro data could be of great use when integrated with a 3D tracker.
Patrick Strenk
Editor | Colorist | VFX

WIN 10 PRO X64 | DaVinci Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio 18.6.2 | Desktop Vid 12.5.1 | Mini and SE Panel | Intensity Pro 4K | 7980XE 18 core | 128GB RAM | RTX3090 | SSD OS drive | 2GB NVMe cache drive | 4x6TB RAID

Return to Fusion