Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Sky Replacement Help

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Charles Reilly

Sky Replacement Help

PostTue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 pm

hi

I have been given some footage that requires the sky to be replaced..... the original sky has been blown and is pure white.... I know how to replace the sky in AE but would really like to get to grips with Fusion as it seems far more powerful....

can anyone walk me through how I could do this ...

much appreciated

Charles

Rakesh Malik

Re: Sky Replacement Help

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 6:02 am

I would if I could... but I haven't learned how to do that well yet (it's on my list, but so are a lot of things :)). There's a tutorial on sky replacement in Fusion at CMIVfx though. Their tutorials are usually quite good.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Njordy Jovanovich

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 8:18 am

What exactly seems to be the problem?

Lucas Pfaff

PostWed Nov 11, 2015 10:54 am

You could just apply a Luma Key to the plate and use it as a Mask for the new sky, it's pretty straight forward

Sander de Regt

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 10:01 am

Rick Griffo wrote:You could just apply a Luma Key to the plate and use it as a Mask for the new sky, it's pretty straight forward

I wish it was. You still need some massaging of the elements nine times out of ten, because of the light colored fringing you get when using a straight forward luma key.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Lucas Pfaff

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:33 pm

I wish it was. You still need some massaging of the elements nine times out of ten, because of the light colored fringing you get when using a straight forward luma key.

Of course, every key needs tweaking; especially Luma, Difference, those kinda keys.
However if you know how to pull a luma key in AE, it should be pretty straight forward in Fusion :) in this case, the Luma keyer is more of the beginning of the journey, as you need to start somewhere; and sky replacements usually start there, when the sky is blown out at least.

It would be a lot easier to help properly when the OP would tell us where he struggles to translate an AE workflow into Fusion :)

Vladimir LaFortune

PostThu Nov 12, 2015 7:37 pm

It would be really helpful if you could tell us what's on the footage. Is it a wide shot of a landscape or a close shot of some moving subject like people interaction. Depending on the situation you might want to key it or just go down and dirty and roto it. Either way its not a big deal, if its you first time of course it would take some time to play with the adjustments but once you get a hang of it then it will be as quick as photoshoping it.

Return to Fusion