Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Can't select OpenCL card in Fusion Free?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

PJPalomaki

Can't select OpenCL card in Fusion Free?

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 am

Am I right in understanding that I can't select the OpenCL card to use in Fusion free version? I'm on a MacBook Pro Retina with integrated Intel card and an Nvidia GPU, but in the preferences it has the Intel one selected and it seems you can't switch to the Nvidia one unless you have the Studio version?

I think this is bit cheeky of BMD as most laptops have both integrated and dedicated GPU... Was hoping Fusion free version wasn't quite as nerfed as this.. more like Resolve vs Resolve Studio (though I have Studio). My transition from AE has hit a bit of a wall... :(

Chad Capeland

Re: Can't select OpenCL card in Fusion Free?

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 10:40 pm

If you uninstall the Intel openly drivers you can get around this. I agree it's one of the stranger limitations.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

PJPalomaki

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 9:37 am

Chad Capeland wrote:If you uninstall the Intel openly drivers you can get around this. I agree it's one of the stranger limitations.

Hmmm, how do you do this in OS X?

Tommy Campbell

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 9:24 pm

You might the free gfxcardstatus app. It will let you set which gfx card you want to use instead of auto switching.

https://gfx.io/

Chad Gleason

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 5:02 pm

I just hopped in to post almost the same question. I have a windows 10 laptop with a Quadro Optimus setup, and Fusion will only let me use the intel chip.

Is this a limitation or an oversight? Because if it's a limitation it's a really bad one. I understand limiting the free users to just one GPU, but limiting them to Intel graphics only if they are on a laptop?? That's a bit... dare I say.... mean?

I know I can disable Optimus and it will work. But we shouldn't have to do that. Making users purposefully gimp their laptops doesn't really benefit Black Magic in any good way that I can think of.

Chad Gleason

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Tommy Campbell wrote:You might the free gfxcardstatus app. It will let you set which gfx card you want to use instead of auto switching.

If I was using a macbook pro you would have just made my week. :) I expect this bit of info will make a lot of people very happy. Thanks for sharing!

PJPalomaki

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 11:17 pm

Tommy Campbell wrote:You might the free gfxcardstatus app. It will let you set which gfx card you want to use instead of auto switching.

I've been using that app now for few years and it's great. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Fusion. As in, even if you force use discrete card only with gfxCardStatus, Fusion still forces to the Intel one.. :roll:

Return to Fusion