Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Problem exporting FBX animation

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sam Saxon

Problem exporting FBX animation

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 11:29 am

Just started learning Fusion and one of the first things I experimented with is the FBX exporter node. Is this working correctly for animation export in Beta version 8 for Mac? I'm only able to export the first frame, despite having the full timeline selected in the FBX Exporter node's controls. I tried exporting to both FBX and DAE with no luck. Sequential export works fine though.

My original input was an Alembic file so I don't know if that makes a difference. I simply have my Alembic merge node hooked into the FBX Exporter node, make sure the full animation range is selected and the appropriate file formate picked and then hit render. Am I missing something here?

Chad Capeland

Re: Problem exporting FBX animation

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Only object transforms (for meshes) are saved in the FBX. Are you sure that's what you have?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Sam Saxon

Re: Problem exporting FBX animation

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 3:38 pm

I guess that's what the problem is. The original animation was not a mesh object transformation. It was a Blender curves animation. No way to export those normally from Blender (key frame baking does not work). But using Octane Render for Blender I was able to export it to Alembic (a unique feature of that plugin). How that Alembic file is interpreting the animation I have no idea but it comes in perfectly to Fusion.

Thanks for the tip! Now I don't need to waste time trying to make something work for which it wasn't designed to do.

Return to Fusion