Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Parent Child type relationship

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Vance Bowman

Parent Child type relationship

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 2:29 pm

Is it possible to create a kind of parent/child relationship between node parameters. I know about the "Connect with" feature, but that creates an identical relationship between the two parameters. What I want is something that will adjust them at the same animated rate, but maintain different amounts. For instance: I have "A" parameter animated from 1 to 0 over 30 frames, but I want to connect "B" parameter to have the identical animation but go from .25 to 0.

Is this possible?

Rony Soussan

Re: Parent Child type relationship

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 8:35 pm

is this an automated thing your looking for? Because you can always copy and paste keys in timeline for that purpose.

As for the expression, I bet Chad has some current.time thingy that will do that as well :)

Ivan Ivanov

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Vance Bowman wrote:Is it possible to create a kind of parent/child relationship between node parameters. I know about the "Connect with" feature, but that creates an identical relationship between the two parameters. What I want is something that will adjust them at the same animated rate, but maintain different amounts. For instance: I have "A" parameter animated from 1 to 0 over 30 frames, but I want to connect "B" parameter to have the identical animation but go from .25 to 0.

Is this possible?

Simple expression will do the job, just connect the value to your A animated output and add "/4" after.

Can also look into "calculation" modifier, has multiple math operators allowing more complex relations between two operands.

In general the "modify with" context menu is where you should look first for an easy and fast solution to creating multiple types of dependencies between values.

Vance Bowman

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks guys! I'll explore this some over the weekend.

One side effect of making fusion accessible is that now there will be a lot of guys like me who are jumping into compositing alone rather than in a studio where there is a wealth of knowledge around us.

I appreciate the help.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Nov 26, 2015 2:06 am

Rony Soussan wrote:As for the expression, I bet Chad has some current.time thingy that will do that as well :)

Ivan provided the correct answer, but for completeness and future reference, you can get an input value at another time would be
Code: Select all
ToolA:GetValue("A", time+10)
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion