Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Masking with Clown Passes

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

David Alan Smith

Masking with Clown Passes

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 8:40 am

Hi,

I'm new to Fusion and am just starting to get my head around things.
My work isn't related to the film industry in any way, but would have good use of it in product development.

I have to work with Keyshot, which unfortunately doesn't give all the render passes one would usually expect. So for masking my best bet is a clown pass: Image

I'd be really thankful, if someone could explain to me how to make my masks out of this type of pass. I tried the Wand, Chroma Keyer and some others, but maybe my mind is still stuck within other workflows.

Thanks,
David

Rony Soussan

Re: Masking with Clown Passes

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 7:25 pm

Usually, an image produced like this can contain material IDs. This would allow any tool in fusion to be limited to that particular ID.
All tools common control tabs have option for ObjectID or MaterialID

Any other way would produce poor results compared to that process.

michael vorberg

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 7:37 pm

you can also use a channel boolean to create the material/object ids

connect the color id pass into the foreground and the beauty render in the BG intput, enable "aux channels" and use the mode "hue FG" in the material/object Id pass
then you have the material/objects id and can pick them from the mentioned mask panel

this will work if the colors of the different objects arent to close in hue but i think you will still have to fight with some edge problems

Chad Capeland

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 8:42 pm

If you have anti-aliasing, you'll get aliasing. If you don't have anti-aliasing, you'll get aliasing. :)

Unfortunately, this workflow only works in a few cases. It's not a general solution.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

David Alan Smith

PostSun Dec 20, 2015 7:22 am

Thanks for the replies.

I finally got around testing this out a bit more. The clown pass is just a simple png without (as far as I could tell) any IDs. Luckily Keyshot can also output parts of the model into seperate files (again, only pngs) with transparency.

Now I load all the single parts and wrote a script to make them usable. I'm sure there's a more efficient way, but hey - it works :D

David

Return to Fusion