Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Bug with Wand Tool resizing it self to the project's format

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Eugene Afanasiev

Bug with Wand Tool resizing it self to the project's format

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm

wnd resizes itself after the project's reloaded and doesn't allow to change the resolution in its image controls - overrides to project frame settings!
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Chad Capeland

Re: Bug with Wand Tool resizing it self to the project's for

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:wnd resizes itself after the project's reloaded and doesn't allow to change the resolution in its image controls - overrides to project frame settings!

That's normal. It is a mask tool. They don't have a size, they generate based on the requests' size.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Eugene Afanasiev

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 10:55 pm

That's the problem, the request's size doesn't work! I pipe the wand input to the output of the source, which size is different from project's one. and it resizes as to the project's size, and when the source is selected at first place and I press Ctrl+Space and type wnd. It connects to the mask output and acts normal as expected with the dimensions of the source. So then I disconnect from the mask input and connect to the output and dimensions stay from the source as needed, and then I reopen project and boom every wnd mask takes the dimensions of the project, and therefore offsets all my masking and selection point to the wrong place!
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Travis Schmiesing

PostThu Dec 17, 2015 11:50 pm

Spitballing a thought...

Not sure this will work as I don't know your node configuration but perhaps you can use an expression to match the scale to the node you need?

This is what we are doing with PSD's....
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41254&p=238359&hilit=PSD#p238359

Chad Capeland

PostFri Dec 18, 2015 3:18 am

Eugene Afanasiev wrote: I reopen project and boom every wnd mask takes the dimensions of the project

The wand, by default, doesn't have dimensions. It can't "take" the dimensions of the project. If you were to render the wand without making a request downstream first, it won't have any idea what size to render (and cache) for the tool it is masking, so it uses the comp format. But when the masked tool renders, it will ask for the correct size from the mask.

Eugene Afanasiev wrote: and therefore offsets all my masking and selection point to the wrong place!

That shouldn't happen. There's nothing to "offset" as the selection point is using relative coordinates.

You'll have to provide a comp demonstrating this effect.

- Chad
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Pieter Van Houte

PostFri Dec 18, 2015 3:43 am

Eugene Afanasiev wrote:That's the problem, the request's size doesn't work! I pipe the wand input to the output of the source, which size is different from project's one. and it resizes as to the project's size, and when the source is selected at first place and I press Ctrl+Space and type wnd. It connects to the mask output and acts normal as expected with the dimensions of the source. So then I disconnect from the mask input and connect to the output and dimensions stay from the source as needed, and then I reopen project and boom every wnd mask takes the dimensions of the project, and therefore offsets all my masking and selection point to the wrong place!

As Chad said, masks don't have a size. They render based on the mask input they are connected to (even multiple, different sized ones - it's actually pretty clever). That said, it can get a bit counter-intuitive because when you disconnect them, they will still look as if they "have" the size that was last requested. Which means that when you close and re-open the comp they will then "have" the project's size (since they haven't had a request yet, they must assume something, and the project's setting is a pretty sensible bet).

With all that said - the "Fit Mask" settings in common controls were broken in Fu7.7 (fixed in 8) - perhaps you're also running into that one?
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Return to Fusion