Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

WPP moving Objects

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ryan Bloomer

WPP moving Objects

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Is there a way to track a moving object through the WPP? Either from a 3D render pass or something that can be generated directly in Fusion's 3D space, so that you could use WPP tools on animated geo?

What I'd like to do is use VolMask and VolFog on a model that's been animated. I've been using normal passes and object buffers currently, but isn't quite getting the look i'm after. Just wondering if there is a way to assign tracking data, or WPP coordinates relative to the moving object as the geo goes through world position, this way I could use the WPP tools with animated geo. Like a VolFog that surrounds an object and stays with the object as it's animated.

Joël Gibbs

Re: WPP moving Objects

PostTue Jan 26, 2016 8:03 pm

If I understand what you're wanting to do correctly, I think your best bet is to kick out a null that's been parented to your object. Then you can track that null with your volume fog and volume mask.

Ryan Bloomer

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 12:04 am

Thanks Joël,

I'll try that, makes sense, but i'm assuming that the position data that'd be tracked will feed the volFog would be 2D data, meaning I could possibly need to to animate scale for objects that move large distances in Z-space. If there's a way to do this as a 3D track or derive the Nulls position directly into the volFog position. Just not sure what I'd be connecting once I have the null following the object, other than using 2D data.

2D should certainly work, just wondering if there's a 3D solution.

thanks again.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 am

What are you trying to do?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Joël Gibbs

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Yeah, 2D track would be painful!
The volume fog and volume mask have 3D data sliders. So assuming you're kicking out a 3D animated null, you can right click on X offset> connect to> Null X position, and do the same with the Y and Z. That should get you mask following the null in 3D space.

Ryan Bloomer

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks again Joël,

Now that should work for 3D position, I was hoping I wasn't going to need to do it as a 2D solution!

Chad, I'm trying to find alternative ways to ID masking, mainly for grading purposes, but also surround geo with a volFog, that also has Fusion lights attached to geo to illuminate the volFog, but it needs to follow the geo's animation through the WPP.

It's not the greatest exmple, but it's similar to this..... most of this could probably be done through particles rather than volume fog, but having the 3D control of the volMask would be really useful if I can track the coordinates of the geo. I think Joël's solution should work, I'll give it a try and see if it's working.
Attachments
haze_objectExample.JPG
haze_objectExample.JPG (52.59 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

Chad Capeland

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 6:35 pm

Yes, the transform on the fog should do it. Would be linked to something that has the animation of the object you're following.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion