Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Alembic and FBX Camera flipping...

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Shawn Astrom

Alembic and FBX Camera flipping...

PostThu Feb 18, 2016 6:02 am

Was going to dive in and use Fusion for my first big project but I can not for the life of me get my camera animations from Cinema 4D to not have gimbal lock issues causing the 3D motion blur to go crazy...

I think what I may need is an Euler Filter in Fusion...

Does anyone have a solution...

Thanks!

- Shawn

I just added some still shots to better illustrate my issue with camera animations...
Attachments
Fusion 180 Filpping Motion Blur.jpg
Fusion 180 Filpping Motion Blur.jpg (549.96 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Fusion 180 Filpping.jpg
Fusion 180 Filpping.jpg (807.9 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
C4D no Filp.jpg
C4D no Filp.jpg (573 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

Vance Bowman

Re: Alembic and FBX Camera flipping...

PostFri Feb 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Hey Shawn,

Have you played around with any of the camera settings? There are rotation order settings on the camera3d node in the transform properties.

I had this same problem coming from Modo with FBX. It took me forever to realize what was going on.
Once I found those buttons I was able to find one that worked. The rotation order that worked in Fusion was not necessarily the one I my camera used in Modo.

Hope that helps!

Shawn Astrom

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 3:31 am

Thanks for the response! I did play a little with the rotation order but not enough to find the right combination...

I will continue to test and let everyone know if I find the best settings and workflow.

- Shawn

Ryan Bloomer

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Hey Shawn,

I've been using Alembic exports from C4D fairly regularly, and have found that baking your camera animation in C4D before exporting to Alembic as solved a lot of issues for me. Also, change your Film Gate "Resolution Gate Fit" to Width, it should default to height. With these two modifications for Alembic imports, I've had very successful camera imports.

Let us know if this doesn't work for you, I'm curious to know what could cause this workflow to break, as i use it very often.

NickBD

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Folks,

I've got the same issue, this time coming from Houdini.

Both FBX and Alembic cameras flip when bringing them into Fusion (whereas inspecting them across different DCCs shows no flipping, so AFAIK my export is good).

Any ideas?

Big thanks,

Nick

NickBD

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Hello again,

Just for a bit of closure (though no solution, unfortunately).

I tried baking my animation in Houdini before exporting, no dice. The animation curves are interpreted by Fusion in exactly the same way. There's definitely a bit of rotation conversion shenanigans going on here (or perhaps my limited ability with the Alembic format is producing bad exports - I don't think so though), but for me it's time to move on (deadline looming).

In the end I was able to fix myself up manually, my animation is a simple camera 360° track around the world origin (perhaps there's a clue in there) and so I was able to correct the flipping without any bother. Bad luck for anyone with a more complex scenario.

Smacks of a bug, mebe?

Cheers,

Nick
Attachments
rotation_test.zip
HIP and resulting ABC export
(26.92 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

Return to Fusion