Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Path map between Mac and windows

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jimmy Paez

Path map between Mac and windows

PostThu May 05, 2016 1:03 am

Hi I'd like to know if it's possible to create a path map to work between mac and windows. I always work with an external hard drive but I can't switch between OS due to the different relative paths. There's a way to do it using scripts?

Sander de Regt

Re: Path map between Mac and windows

PostThu May 05, 2016 7:27 pm

It kind of depends on how you want to organize your stuff.
You can create your own relative path maps in Fusion as well.
F.e. If you put your footage in a folder /footage that's in the same folder as your *.comp, you can use f.e. comp:/footage (or comp:footage - I can't remember) in your loaders. This way no matter what Fusion will always find your stuff.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Jimmy Paez

PostSat May 07, 2016 5:49 am

Hi, thank for reply, I tried different path combinations with no result, In the following link you'll see a screen grab of the comp in mac OS : /https://i.imgsafe.org/380ce8c.png/. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

Sander de Regt

PostMon May 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi, I am not that well versed in these matters. But what I was referring to was that you can use words like comp: inside of the loader's file requester to make relative paths. I wasn't talking about the preferences.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Chad Capeland

PostMon May 09, 2016 9:18 pm

Pathmaps are your best bet, but UNC paths can work under OSX or Linux with symlinks. Depends if you're just using Fusion, or you have other applications you need to make work.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Haryanto

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 10, 2016 7:21 am

Jimmy Paez wrote:Hi I'd like to know if it's possible to create a path map to work between mac and windows. I always work with an external hard drive but I can't switch between OS due to the different relative paths. There's a way to do it using scripts?

I'd recommend doing path maps in "Global and Default Settings" on all the machines you use. (not in the individual comp itself)

For example:
*On OSX machine, if you have external hard drive which is always mounted as: /Volumes/HDD/
*and your Loader is something like: /Volumes/HDD/Project1/Loaders/Clip1.mov
*and your Saver is something like: /Volumes/HDD/Project1/Savers/Clip2.mov

On Windows machine "Global and Default Settings" path map, you should create an entry like:
*To: F:\
(assuming the external drive is mounted as F:\ on Windows)

In case you also do the reverse(i.e. creating a comp on Windows and bringing it to OSX), you should do path mapping on the OSX machine as well.
On OSX machine "Global and Default Settings" path map, you should create an entry like:
*To: /Volumes/HDD/

By doing such kind of mapping, it's even possible to network-render a comp to all machines in the network regardless of the OS platform.

tyronemackay

PostThu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 pm

OMG thank you Haryanto this is the best thing EVER. Works perfectly.
I used to setup a similar script in NUKE but was very clunky you had to remeber to do it at the start of every comp and sometimes it broke. This is SO EASY AND AMAZING. We have a bunch of win and mac machines connected to a Mac and Linux server and people taking over comps on diff OS's has been painful waste of time. THANKS

Juha Takabe

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 5:48 am

I also got my Net render setup working with help I received from Blackmagic support. Support was very good. Fast response time with easy to follow instructions.

Anyway with support, we discovered one bug related to Net render and ProRes.

Job will be rendered without error message, but end result will be saved using codec: AVdh, cn32 for unknown reason. It will play back in Fusion at least, but not in Quicktime player since it is not native ProRes.

They are now investigating and will return to the case when they know more about it.

Bryan Ray

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 2:24 pm

The Render Node isn't licensed for ProRes. You have to do that rendering in an interactive session. It would be better to fail the render with an error, of course, rather than rendering the wrong format.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Juha Takabe

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:The Render Node isn't licensed for ProRes. You have to do that rendering in an interactive session. It would be better to fail the render with an error, of course, rather than rendering the wrong format.

Ah, too bad. Indeed it would be better to return some error message. I would be so happy if ProRes net render were possible...

Return to Fusion