Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Jules Clark

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostThu May 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Just re-opened a comp I finished animating and rendered last night and now it no longer works properly.

I'm trying to alter a material using replace material on some 3D text. It won't allow anything to be viewed in rt hand viewer, won't show changes made to the material in lefthand view, or it just hangs, then when I close the comp and try to re-open it, it just sits there as if I've done nothing and I have to shut down Fusion.

I've tried deleting some of the 3D tools and re-saved the comp as a new version, but with the same problems occuring.
I've opened the comp in F7 and it works perfectly.

After a couple of weeks use I'm starting to doubt F8's commercial usability when these issues are occurring and I have deadlines to meet, so I think I'm going to stick with F7 until F8 gets a software update.
Are any other users having similar issues? Hard to tell if it's software, hardware or combo - and particularly confusing since F7 works pretty much flawlessly with the same comps.
Offline

Jules Clark

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostThu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

... I'm using F8 Studio, not free version.

System is HP Z820, WIN7 64bit, 96GB RAM, Quadro 4000.

I've saved the problem comp in F7 with the changes I needed and then re-opened it back in F8. The comp now seems to work fine. I've got the righthand viewer back and I can make changes to the 3D materials without it hanging.

Hmmm?
Offline
User avatar

Pieter Van Houte

  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:04 am

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostThu May 05, 2016 11:08 pm

Open both files in a text editor and compare any differences to see what may cause the crash.
Offline

Travis Schmiesing

  • Posts: 79
  • Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:01 am

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostSat May 07, 2016 12:31 am

Is there an advantage to using v8 unless you want to run it on OSx?
Offline

Chad Capeland

  • Posts: 1596
  • Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostSat May 07, 2016 1:58 am

Travis Schmiesing wrote:Is there an advantage to using v8 unless you want to run it on OSx?


There's some bug fixes, but you also lose some stuff and there's new bugs. So best to keep both on your systems. Can run them concurrently, too.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Offline

Jules Clark

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostSun May 08, 2016 11:37 pm

I've now had another problem come up with Fusion Studio 8 - the 3D view keeps playing up - sometimes I can't rotate the scene, can't move objects, it won't update as I move along the timeline and does this weird flickering if I try to move anything. Recently updated to the latest Quadro driver, but don't think it's the gfx card. Fusion7 works perfectly with the same comp.

I think I'm sticking with my nice stable F7 install - until there's a decent Fusion Studio 8 update. I can live without any of the new functions.
It's somewhat frustrating that they haven't got these issues sorted before putting it on the market for users to deal with.
Offline

Jens Noelte

  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 5:37 pm

I just built my first comp in Fusion 8.2 but can't render it, Fusion 8.2 keeps crashing/shutting down during any kind of render, either through saver or disc cache or just on previews of differerent nodes. Win7 64, sufficent ram available, gtx 1080. I haven't tried a new install yet. Open GL is off, software render for 3d merge is selected.

Help please! Where can I get Fusion 7???
Offline

Ryan Bloomer

  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Visit: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

scroll down in latest downloads to find Fusion 7.7.1
Offline

Jens Noelte

  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 6:44 am

Just installed and tried 7.71. It crashes even sooner than 8.2. Win7 64 plenty ram left before crash occurs.

Fusion keeps crashing as soon as I send a node to be displayed in a viewport. In 8.2 I can work with the comp if I display the first input then the next node and then work my way down the comp until everything is cached. If I select a node further down the comp at the start, or try to render the comp through a saver or cache to disc, Fusion crashes after rendering a few frames.

Anybody have an idea how I can get Fusion to work?
Offline

Jens Noelte

  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 am

Reinstalled 8.2 and got it to work! Thanks to this this helpful advice in the forum:

find
"c:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\FuScript.exe"
"c:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\Fusion.exe"
"c:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\FusionServer.exe"
"c:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\Fusion 8\QTServer\FusionQTServer.exe"

and for each, right click and choose 'Properties'
goto 'Compatibilty' tab and set Compatibility mode [x] Run this program in compatibility mode for:
and set all to 'windows 7'

I also checked run as admin...
Last edited by Jens Noelte on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

Steve Alexander

  • Posts: 330
  • Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:15 am

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 10:33 am

New to Fusion - curious - what was removed between 7.7.1 and 8.2?
Resolve Studio 14.2 | Win 10 Pro Creator2 | i7, K4200 (385.08), 24GB RAM
Offline

Ahmed Naseem

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:39 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostTue Sep 27, 2016 11:08 pm

Can anyone help me with this problem in fusion studio 8.2 ?
I don't know why this is happening when i preview the work

Image

My Computer Details :
Image
Offline

Chad Capeland

  • Posts: 1596
  • Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostFri Sep 30, 2016 3:06 am

Talk to your reseller.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com
Offline

pierre.gerard

  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 am

Chad Capeland wrote:Talk to your reseller.

I have the same issue, someone know how to resolve that ?
Offline

Sam Steti

  • Posts: 888
  • Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:29 am
  • Location: France

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 am

Hey,

What you see is watermark, which happens when you reach a limitation of the free version.
Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 1SSD for system, 2 SSDs raid0 for footage and caches, OSX ElCap, Resolve 14 Studio
Offline

Rick van den Berg

  • Posts: 154
  • Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:47 am

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Jules Clark wrote:Just re-opened a comp I finished animating and rendered last night and now it no longer works properly.

I'm trying to alter a material using replace material on some 3D text. It won't allow anything to be viewed in rt hand viewer, won't show changes made to the material in lefthand view, or it just hangs, then when I close the comp and try to re-open it, it just sits there as if I've done nothing and I have to shut down Fusion.

I've tried deleting some of the 3D tools and re-saved the comp as a new version, but with the same problems occuring.
I've opened the comp in F7 and it works perfectly.

After a couple of weeks use I'm starting to doubt F8's commercial usability when these issues are occurring and I have deadlines to meet, so I think I'm going to stick with F7 until F8 gets a software update.
Are any other users having similar issues? Hard to tell if it's software, hardware or combo - and particularly confusing since F7 works pretty much flawlessly with the same comps.


im getting more and more doubts everyday if i shouldn't just try other software. im getting used to the whole UI and the way of working with all the tools, but im encountering (serious) bugs everyday. i just spent like 30/40 minutes on a simple, smooth 2d animation with some warps/transforms, and got a perfect feeling about it. i now reopened it and the animation is clearly different, like something weird happened with the gridwarp. flickering frames after a 3d renderer even though i have it on software instead of opengl (though i really, really want to use opengl)

if things like these happen just once in a while, ok. but it feels like its happening everyday. and not just on one system. i just dont want to invest much more time in solving these problems because yeah, i got deadlines too. feels like im a little whiny but i think not completely without a reason
Offline

Chris North

  • Posts: 62
  • Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:27 pm

Re: Fusion 8 - how stable is it?

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:
Jules Clark wrote:Just re-opened a comp I finished animating and rendered last night and now it no longer works properly.

I'm trying to alter a material using replace material on some 3D text. It won't allow anything to be viewed in rt hand viewer, won't show changes made to the material in lefthand view, or it just hangs, then when I close the comp and try to re-open it, it just sits there as if I've done nothing and I have to shut down Fusion.

I've tried deleting some of the 3D tools and re-saved the comp as a new version, but with the same problems occuring.
I've opened the comp in F7 and it works perfectly.

After a couple of weeks use I'm starting to doubt F8's commercial usability when these issues are occurring and I have deadlines to meet, so I think I'm going to stick with F7 until F8 gets a software update.
Are any other users having similar issues? Hard to tell if it's software, hardware or combo - and particularly confusing since F7 works pretty much flawlessly with the same comps.



I'm using version 9 and experiencing constant crashes (both mac and PC). It's such a shame because I really want to invest time (and money) in a decent alternative to After Effects, mostly because of the true 3D and node workflow. But Fusion just isn't reliable enough yet. Either there are display glitches, silly bugs (hotkeys not working) or just crashes with no warning.

Compare to the trial version of NUKE.... it's like night and day.

Return to Fusion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests