Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

CustomShader3D: Cg shader editing in your comp

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Chad Capeland

CustomShader3D: Cg shader editing in your comp

PostWed Jun 01, 2016 5:09 pm

You've seen me post teasers in the past, but it's finally available for you to purchase. Custom Shader 3D is a tool for making customized fragment shaders directly within your comp. Whether you need to come up with a new look or solve a 3D compositing problem on the fly, or you want to develop a library of shaders for your facility, or you want to mimic the look of shaders used in your interactive 3D application, Custom Shader 3D (3CuS) gives the ability to quickly develop and version ideas alongside all the existing builtin and plugin shaders Fusion Studio 7 & 8 offer.

3CuS uses Cg, the same GPU language that Fusion uses for it's OpenGL renderers and viewports. So whatever you make in 3CuS, it integrates well with tools you already have, so mixing and matching shaders is easy. Below is an example that reproduces parts of 3BC

Using 3CuS, you can access rendercontext matrices, lighting, colors, floats, materials, booleans, and transforms. Your shaders can interact with Fusion's lighting or you can create your own. Effects can happen in a mix of eye space, world space, and model space. 3CuS supports images and masks, so you can create pixel perfect floating point GPU accelerated concatenated color corrections that render orders of magnitude times faster than Fusion's image tools, even faster than Resolve!

Because 3CuS uses UserControls, you can customize your tools UI using standard Fusion inputs. A artist can make a quick and dirty tool and leave the default GUI, while a TD can create a sleek interface that looks and acts just like a native SDK tool including help URL's, tooltips, presets, tile pics, etc., and locks and hides the shader code to prevent accidental tampering. You can even move the shader code to an external file that can be updated independently from the comp.

Sample files will get you up and running right away, and there are many resources available for Cg and HLSL. The .settings files can of course be shared just like any other tool, so you can copy/paste, share in Bins, or post them on this very forum!

Debug output happens right in the console, so you can see any warnings or errors in your code when it compiles.

Whether you need an animated 3D mask, a special warping effect, a unique cartoon material, a volumetric raymarcher, or a GPU accelerated image processing toolset, Custom Shader 3D provides the flexibility you need to get the shot you want.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Vladimir LaFortune

Re: CustomShader3D: Cg shader editing in your comp

PostFri Jun 03, 2016 10:25 am

Looks very deep, great for serious pixel perfect 3D people.

I like quick and dirty fixes myself so I find your Lit_Sphere tool quite tempting, alongside Reflection_Blur which sounds very useful.

Great work!

Kristof Indeherberge

Re: CustomShader3D: Cg shader editing in your comp

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 8:00 am

3CuS has got to be one of the most useful and fun plugins out there (KKD, I love you too!).

Finally managed to get the infamous Seascape shader ported to 3CuS. Very messy right now, but I'm planning on cleaning it up and to strip it and add more useful features like being able to use a Fu camera and a directional light.

You can follow along and grab the code here:

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... =14&t=2731

Scroll to the bottom to get the Seascape port.

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/Ms2SD1

Return to Fusion