Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 8.1 Release

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Steve Roberts

Blackmagic Design

Fusion 8.1 Release

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 5:50 am

Fusion 8.1 is now released.

This version introduces Fusion Connect for Avid MC on MAC OSX as well as Windows.
Fusion Connect will work with the free version of Fusion and Avid MC with the Artist DNxIO box
and also work in Fusion Studio.

There is also a number of bug fixes and enhancements.
Download it now from the Support section of the Blackmagic Design website.

Erwin Berkers

Re: Fusion 8.1 Release

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:15 am

Dear Steve,

After I downloaded 8.1, I removed version 8.0 from my system, and installed the new version.

When checking the version using the "About" dialog as the first step, the program set itself into an infinite loop of generating error dialogs, that I only could resolve by a hard power down of the machine. The application did not respond to any Quit commands or responses to creating hundreds of dialog windows. The dialog was hard to read since new ones popped up all the time, but was something with "[string .. ... .. nil]".

I am running a MacBook Pro, Mid 2015 with AMD R9 M370X, OS 10.11.5, Wacom driver 6.3.16-10.

edit: After having a bit more time and uninstalling the version 8.0 I reverted to, Fusion 8.1 appears functioning fine, i.e., the "About" dialog not causing a crash. Perhaps it only fails immediately after installing and if it is the first thing you do?

Best Regards,
Erwin Berkers, MSc
Last edited by Erwin Berkers on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 7:44 am

There is also a number of bug fixes and enhancements.

Hi Steve,

Great news for those on AVID.

Do any of those enhancements mean the addition of an actual changelog? Makes it easier to troubleshoot/report bugs. :-)

Cheers,

Sander de Regt
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Michael Wolf

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Congratulations on the release.

And I do second the request for a changelog. It would certainly save some of my time.

Well, off to see if 8.1 can replace 7.7 here...

Edit: And... no, showstopper: The [ ] keys still don't work on a German language keyboard (I suspect other non en-* keyboards as well).
Also, the scripts are still not included any more. :( Fu8 Studio that is.

Cheers,
Mike
Michael Wolf - db&w GbR
http://www.db-w.com

William Eguienta

PostTue Jun 07, 2016 5:35 pm

still not working for me on windows 10 pro x64 as already discuss in an other thread
fusion get stuck on launch screen

i have tried with fusion studio, it start correctly then ask for dongle (so everything is normal)
tried back free version, not working...

please fix it ! i'm not the only one in this case

Steve Alexander

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 4:49 am

I was hopeful but I guess Fusion Connect for Avid still does not allow you to automatically launch Fusion with the connect-generated Fusion project - I'm guessing we either need to buy Fusion Studio or Avid DNxIO - The blurb on the support page was misleading:

"This software adds the Fusion Connect for Avid plug-in that is compatible with Avid edit systems, so you can send any clip or stack of clips from an Avid Media Composer timeline directly into Fusion or Fusion Studio. Now Avid editors can have access to Fusion’s powerful 3D compositing and animation tools!"

Made it sound like Free version now supports Fusion Connect...

Is this true or is there something wrong with my setup?

BTW - Fusion integration into Resolve 12.5 is really great!
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Ludvik Koutny

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 9:25 am

I second the request for changelog. Just mentioning "a number of bug fixes and enhancements" has very little value without any specific details.

Bugs aside, I would love to try the new enhancements, but I have absolutely no idea what they are and where are they located. :(
https://www.artstation.com/rawalanche

Eugene Afanasiev

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 6:18 pm

For example one of them is in the preferences under the flow there is additional Link grab distance slider I found this very useful as I love to keep everything tiny and hate missing clicking and grabbing the pipes and links of the nodes. I cranked up the slider to 20 and now it's hard to miss!
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Eugene Afanasiev

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 6:48 pm

And there is an additional How to directory in the bins/templates which is very cool
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Ludvik Koutny

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 8:10 pm

That's indeed very nice, but still, finding new features and improvements should not be Easter egg hunt :)
https://www.artstation.com/rawalanche

Bruce Carter

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 11:03 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:I was hopeful but I guess Fusion Connect for Avid still does not allow you to automatically launch Fusion with the connect-generated Fusion project - I'm guessing we either need to buy Fusion Studio or Avid DNxIO - The blurb on the support page was misleading:

"This software adds the Fusion Connect for Avid plug-in that is compatible with Avid edit systems, so you can send any clip or stack of clips from an Avid Media Composer timeline directly into Fusion or Fusion Studio. Now Avid editors can have access to Fusion’s powerful 3D compositing and animation tools!"

I tested out Fusion 8.1 on Avid MC 8.5.3 on a MacBook Pro running 10.11.5 and was able to get it to
work. Your note sounds like what happened to me at first where Fusion is blank when it launches.
You have to go to where the .comp project has been placed and double-click it to load.

You can do this 2 ways: from the Mac Finder or from within Fusion.

In Fusion, select File>Open and traverse the file structure to the .comp file. On my system, this was:
Devices/MacIntosh HD/Users/my_name/FusionConnect/proj_name/sequence_name/*.comp

Double-click the .comp file and it should load.

Hope this helps.

-bruce
DaVinci Resolve 12.5.0.052
MacOS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.5
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Bruce Carter

PostWed Jun 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Found a bug during launch of Fusion 8.1:

Double-clicked the Fusion app in the Mac Applications folder and it launched.
As it launched I clicked the icon in the dock and selected to Keep In The Dock.
An infinite loop then occurred with an error message being displayed:

[string "Bins_Play:Update"]:1:attempt to index global 'self' (a nil value)

Had to force quit the app from a 2nd display.

-bruce
MacOS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.5

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 12:05 am

Ludvik Koutny wrote:That's indeed very nice, but still, finding new features and improvements should not be Easter egg hunt :)

Ah, but there IS an easter egg in 8.1. I doubt it's intentional, but I did a double take when I saw it...
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Hideki Inoue

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 1:02 pm

[ ] key doesn't repeat. It works only a frame.

Where is the scripts? Do you have no plan to convert for Fu8?
Fusion Studio v18.6.6 / DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Intel® Core™ i9-13900KS / 128GB RAM / Nvidia Geforce RTX 4090 (546.33) / Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Intel® Core™ i9-7980XE / 128GB RAM / Nvidia RTX A5000 (536.67) / Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Travis Schmiesing

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 4:23 pm

What is the actual involvement of BM in the user forums? I see Tony and a few others post info every now and then but there seems to be little to no involvement of the people actually responsible for making the product better. I guess I would like to know that posts here are being heard by BM. It would be nice if the suggestions and requests that users make actually had an effect.

Chad Capeland

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Travis Schmiesing wrote:What is the actual involvement of BM in the user forums? I see Tony and a few others post info every now and then but there seems to be little to no involvement of the people actually responsible for making the product better. I guess I would like to know that posts here are being heard by BM. It would be nice if the suggestions and requests that users make actually had an effect.

Are they read? Yes. Probably every single one, based on conversations I've had. Developers who have never responded to a post will know not just the content of the post, but who wrote it.

Are they considered? Depends. Lots of posts are essentially garbage, at least from the product development standpoint. Saying you want Fusion 9 to be faster and crash less isn't going to make a product manager sit up and say "You know, now that you mention it...".

There aren't a lot of posts that are actionable, and there aren't a lot of posts that are well reasoned. I'll take the criticism for saying that, I don't mind. If I didn't say it, BMD would either have to say it and look mean or say nothing and look aloof.

The forum itself doesn't really encourage anything like that either. Good ideas get mixed in with bad ideas and both are lost in the sea of "How to I get this software/tool/technique to work" posts that make up the bulk of the posts. Everything here is dead flat. One forum where all the posts go, with no way to sort or categorize them other than a handful of stickied posts.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Giorgio Caridi

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Bruce Carter wrote:In Fusion, select File>Open and traverse the file structure to the .comp file. On my system, this was:
Devices/MacIntosh HD/Users/my_name/FusionConnect/proj_name/sequence_name/*.comp

Double-click the .comp file and it should load.

Hope this helps.

-bruce

I've opened the .comp file but it shows me just a RED Solid Footage, like a Red Colored Background Node.

Also, if I open Fusion, it crushes at least half of the time.

Travis Schmiesing

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:Are they read? Yes. Probably every single one, based on conversations I've had. Developers who have never responded to a post will know not just the content of the post, but who wrote it.

Are they considered? Depends. Lots of posts are essentially garbage, at least from the product development standpoint. Saying you want Fusion 9 to be faster and crash less isn't going to make a product manager sit up and say "You know, now that you mention it...".

There aren't a lot of posts that are actionable, and there aren't a lot of posts that are well reasoned. I'll take the criticism for saying that, I don't mind. If I didn't say it, BMD would either have to say it and look mean or say nothing and look aloof.

The forum itself doesn't really encourage anything like that either. Good ideas get mixed in with bad ideas and both are lost in the sea of "How to I get this software/tool/technique to work" posts that make up the bulk of the posts. Everything here is dead flat. One forum where all the posts go, with no way to sort or categorize them other than a handful of stickied posts.

It is good to hear that they are reading the posts... I use Vray daily and i am spoiled with the user forum on their site. One of the co-founders and many of their developers are on the forum daily responding to problems people are having, bugs they are finding, and other questions that people might have. They don't answer all themselves as many questions have been asked before and some are obtuse but the effort they put in interacting with their community is impressive.
Last edited by Travis Schmiesing on Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Rony and Steve are very knowledgeable when it comes to Fusion information and as was pointed out by Chad, they and other people within the company do read the posts here. I don't have specifics on what suggestions for updates to the software are taken into consideration but we do evaluate and process the feedback we see here to try and incorporate what we can.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Michael Wolf

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 7:28 am

Tony Rivera wrote:... but we do evaluate and process the feedback we see here to try and incorporate what we can.

I'd just be happy enough if 8.x was at least as usable as 7.x. Currently (see above) there is just no point to even check for improvements if the basics fail.

Cheers,
Mike
Michael Wolf - db&w GbR
http://www.db-w.com

Salvo Triolo

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 8:23 am

Tony Rivera wrote:...but we do evaluate and process the feedback we see here to try and incorporate what we can.

I perfectly understand what Travis says about comparision with v-ray forum...developers are listening and reply, they propose, they run to overcome their competitors and , last but not last, very looong changelog pages. This strategy pays a lot.
This forum is another thing, another company with other strategies...cool enought but not the coolest :)

thomascheng

PostFri Jun 10, 2016 7:09 pm

8.1 seems to startup fine here. Residual uninstall?

William Eguienta

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 9:12 am

no matter what i do, it cant launch for me
beta work well but nothing since it's the full release

Steve Roberts

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 9:39 am

Steve Alexander wrote:I was hopeful but I guess Fusion Connect for Avid still does not allow you to automatically launch Fusion with the connect-generated Fusion project - I'm guessing we either need to buy Fusion Studio or Avid DNxIO - The blurb on the support page was misleading:

Fusion Connect for Avid will work on Avid MC and Fusion Studio version. It will also work on Avid MC and Fusion (Free) if the system has an Artist DNxIO box attached.

Jon Ross

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 9:57 pm

Bruce Carter wrote:Found a bug during launch of Fusion 8.1:

I'm having the same problem. As soon as I hit shift-space (after opening app)... wham. infinite loop of dialogs. Have to use activity monitor to kill fusion. If I don't use shift-space it seems to work ok. very odd.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Jun 11, 2016 11:36 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I wonder if BMD would consider making this functionality available for a token fee - I can't justify the $995 for Fusion Studio at the moment (although I do own Resolve Studio) but would like the full integration into Media Composer... In the meantime, I'll continue experimenting with Fusion (Free) making use of the workarounds to get MC integration.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Stefan Kirste

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:10 am

i didnt get my ofx plugins in, with it installed, fusion only shows one second the starting screen, and then nothing. F.E. Reelsmart Twixtor. Fusion Studio on Win7.

Saso Bogdanov

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 12:35 pm

There is still no hotkey for frame forward and backward in 8.1.1! :?
(talking about some EU keyboards... works ok if i switch to ENG, but that is useless)

David Sanchez

PostWed Jun 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Im having problems opening fusion 8.1 its opening like 1000 boxes saying....
[string"Bins_Play:Update"]: attempt to index global 'self' (a nil value)
:cry:

Kingsley Paul

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 3:46 am

Jon Ross wrote:

I'm having the same problem. As soon as I hit shift-space (after opening app)... wham. infinite loop of dialogs. Have to use activity monitor to kill fusion. If I don't use shift-space it seems to work ok. very odd.

I am having the same issue of 1000s of dialog boxes flashing on the screen forcing me to quit Fusion. Please suggest some resolution to this problem. Thanks.

Bruce Carter

PostThu Jun 16, 2016 5:36 am

Kingsley Paul wrote:
Jon Ross wrote:

I am having the same issue of 1000s of dialog boxes flashing on the screen forcing me to quit Fusion. Please suggest some resolution to this problem. Thanks.

Have you installed Fusion 8.1.1 and Fusion Connect 8.1.1 to see if that fixes it? According to the release note this problem is fixed in 8.1.1. I have been using 8.1.1 today and did not experience the bug. The thing is, and I posted this in the 8.1.1 thread, is that the support section still says the release is 8.1 when in fact it is now 8.1.1. Not a good release policy but that is the situation at this moment.
MacOS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.5

Jon Ross

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 1:33 am

Bruce Carter wrote:

Have you installed Fusion 8.1.1 and Fusion Connect 8.1.1 to see if that fixes it?

8.1.1 fixed this for me.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 11:36 am

Jon Ross wrote:
Bruce Carter wrote:

Have you installed Fusion 8.1.1 and Fusion Connect 8.1.1 to see if that fixes it?

8.1.1 fixed this for me.

Fixed it for me too

Return to Fusion