Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Input Schemes and other issues

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Achim Dietze

Fusion Input Schemes and other issues

PostFri Jul 08, 2016 11:55 am

After a long time using Nuke and being more and more disappointed by where the foundry is going, I decided to give Fusion a try again. I have been using Fusion before I switched to Combustion and then to Nuke. One of the things that annoyed me in Nuke is the tedious process of editing Hotkey assignments so I was a bit shocked to see that there seems to be no better option in Fusion. Apart from that, the default Hotkeys are far from any common standard. Having to hold ctrl for zooming is something you find in applications for creating print layouts where vertical scrolling is a priority but makes no sense in a VFX app where quick zooming and panning is mandatory for a fluent workflow.
The 3d Navigation is from when? 1986? When everyone thought each application desperately needs to distinguish itself from others by using their own input scheme? But the worst is if you try to step from by frame through the timeline and you just can't do that on a non US keyboard. My head is still shaking from, well, shaking it. Is this seriously a software that is being sold worldwide? This is the most basic function in a software you do rotoscoping in!

I have read a few forum entries about the inputschemes but I don't see any reaction, or for that matter, very little info about roadmaps, development, patch infos and so on from Blackmagic. How big is the team working on it?
I mean if I decide to spend money for a software I want to be sure it is actively being developed, there is communication between the users and the developers and I don't have to fear the product is being dumped one year later.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of things about fusion. There is a lot of functionality that is way better than Nuke's (at least from the basic idea) but it seems all a bit neglect the workflow aspect. There are no sliders or whatsoever for entering values in some fields, the process of simply connecting two parameters takes three times as long as in nuke, though nuke doesn't have the modifier function which is in itself pretty nice but doesn't compete with simply dragging and dropping one parameter onto another to create a link.

My biggest problem however is that I can't use any other layout than the default one. As soon as I start to create dual screen layouts or just start working with floating windows the whole application seems to break. I can 100% reproduce the flow window breaking as soon as I undock it. Even on a single screen. This may have to do with my system but I can run tons of other apps on this machine with dualscreen setups and no problems.

All this is very sad because, even though I do understand the idea to provide a free version to receive feedback and receive free testing for the developers, it makes me not to want to use Fusion at all. I don't want to have to switch my keyboard layout every time I open Fusion. It is not effective having to enter numeric values over and over again to precision align two layers. And I want to use my second monitor because it speeds up work immensely.

I strongly advise Blackmagic to stop adding features or whatever they are doing and start actually implement the "user" in this software. I can live with a lot of quirks if I still can work quickly. I cannot live with missing basic inputs or not being able to customize my software.
So it seems I am stuck with Nuke even though there is a free full compositing tool. I would not think twice to actually buy studio if it wasn't for the lack of communication, user integration and priority on the interface.

Friedrich Schnittker

Re: Fusion Input Schemes and other issues

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Having to hold ctrl for zooming is something you find in applications for creating print layouts where vertical scrolling is a priority but makes no sense in a VFX app where quick zooming and panning is mandatory for a fluent workflow.
The 3d Navigation is from when? 1986? When everyone thought each application desperately needs to distinguish itself from others by using their own input scheme?

Totally agree. When is this going to get an upgrade?

Achim Dietze

Re: Fusion Input Schemes and other issues

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Friedrich Schnittker wrote:
Having to hold ctrl for zooming is something you find in applications for creating print layouts where vertical scrolling is a priority but makes no sense in a VFX app where quick zooming and panning is mandatory for a fluent workflow.
The 3d Navigation is from when? 1986? When everyone thought each application desperately needs to distinguish itself from others by using their own input scheme?

Totally agree. When is this going to get an upgrade?

Actually I found a way to turn of ctrl for zooming. It is completely unintuitive and I have no idea if this behaviour is intended but:
Go to prefrences>global> User Interface. At the bottom you find touch scrolling and mouswheel.
Now if you tick ctrl off for for zoom the ctrl for pan is checked which is also not what you want. if you click ignore,this doesn't seem to have the desired effect either. But if you click ignore again the checkmark is removed completely. Now click save and voila, no ctrl for zoom neccesary anymore.

But this also reflects a bit the state of the UI. If I imagine what a great tool Fusion could be again if those annyoing "little" things would be taken care of....

Return to Fusion