Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 8 missing scripts

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Roy Nieterau

Fusion 8 missing scripts

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Hey,

Having installed Fusion 8.1 (and also tested 8.2 beta) it seems by default there are no scripts under the Script menu. I remember reading this somewhere before about Fusion 8 that the release somehow was missing all its default scripts, yet I can't find that particular post anymore.

It's somewhat unfortunate the default scripts (as were available in earlier versions, 6/7) seem to be missing. Anyone has a link where I can get them and ensure they are added in?

Also, what's the particular reason they are gone? :) Am I doing something wrong?

Steffen Dünner

Re: Fusion 8 missing scripts

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Same here. I hope there's a way to fix this.

Blake LaFarm

PostThu Aug 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Is this what you are referring to?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48724
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR
Resolve Studio 15.0.0B.043 | Fusion Studio 9.0.2 | DTV 10.9.12 | Win10 Pro 1803

Roy Nieterau

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks! That does indeed seem to be the topic I was referring to, even though I remembered it discussing the scripts instead of templates/macros. And I missed that their solution was to just transfer files from Fusion 7 to Fusion 8.

Did they just not update the scripts and removed them completely on purpose?
Wonder what the reason was to remove them.

I guess it's a matter of taking the scripts from older versions at this stage.

Blake LaFarm

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 2:16 pm

I followed those instructions in order to access the Templates folder from the old version.

I can tell you that the Scripts folder is also different between the two versions.

For example, in terms of the 3 Script subfolders that are common between the old version and the new version (Comp, Tool and Utility), the old version has a total of 55 files -- while the new version has only 1 file. For the record, the new version's Script folder also has Bin, Job, Slave subfolders (which are not found in an initial installation of the old version).

Being new to Fusion, I have not yet copied the contents of the old Script folder (Comp, Tool and Utility) -- to the new version. My reason was that I did not yet have a good understanding of the application and I was concerned that there might be some incompatibility between the versions. The fact that Blackmagic did not include those files in the new version also gave me pause.

I still don't know why these various supporting files are not included in the new version. However, it would be helpful to know if I can safely copy the Comp, Tool and Utility folders from the old version -- to the new version without any adverse consequences.
HP Z840 | Dual 10-Core Xeon 2.3 GHz | Dual TITAN Xp | 64 GB RAM | Media: PCIe SSD 2.5 GB/s
DeckLink 4K Ext 12G | Pocket UltraScope | Avid Artist Color | CalMAN Studio/C6-HDR

Chad Capeland

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 3:13 pm

Blake LaFarm wrote:I still don't know why these various supporting files are not included in the new version. However, it would be helpful to know if I can safely copy the Comp, Tool and Utility folders from the old version -- to the new version without any adverse consequences.

Support, mostly. The scripts aren't supported, so why make extra load on tech support?

You should be fine copying them over, none of those types of scripts will run at startup.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

michael vorberg

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 3:35 pm

Most likely none of the old scripts will run without modification.
Starting by the file extension (old. Eyeonscript, new. Lua)
Then the change in the library (old eyeon, new BMD), some changes between the new lua version used, etc.

Blake LaFarm

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 5:29 pm

@Chad
@Michael

Thank you both. So, for a novice (me) climbing the Fusion learning curve, there really is no point in copying those Script folders over as the files aren't actually immediately supported in the new version. That is useful information.

Two Questions:

1. Does the same logic apply to the Templates -- or do they not have the same compatibility issues?
2. Are there any other resources from the older version that might actually be worth copying over?

Thanks.

michael vorberg

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 6:06 pm

templates will work, because they are just fusion compositions with native tools

you can also take a look at the macro folder and the fuses

Blake LaFarm

PostFri Aug 05, 2016 7:26 pm

michael vorberg wrote:you can also take a look at the macro folder and the fuses

Thanks for that information.

Interestingly, the Fusion 7.7.1 Macro folder only has 13 files, almost all of which are some form of "Convert Pal NTSC" -- while the Fusion 8 Macro folder is relatively enormous with 16 subfolders containing 332 files.

In contrast, the Fusion 7.7.1 Fuses folder has six subfolders (Blackmagic, Clones, OpenCL, Ops, ViewShaders) containing 48 files -- while the Fusion 8 Fuses folder is seemingly empty.

Am I somehow confusing these file numbers?

Achim Dietze

PostSun Aug 07, 2016 11:06 am

It would be great if someone could post a link or provide a download to the older scripts. I don't have any older installations but I would like to check them out to expand my experience with fusion.

Eugene Afanasiev

PostSun Aug 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Achim Dietze wrote:It would be great if someone could post a link or provide a download to the older scripts. I don't have any older installations but I would like to check them out to expand my experience with fusion.

And greate it'd be!
Here you go: I've collected all the previous even those which are already unusful or legacy and made every macro a group to further understand the structure for learners:

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/f ... sp=sharing
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Alberto Gutz

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 2:35 pm

I have copied Animated 3D Parameters.lua into ProgramFiles/Blackmagic/Fusion/scripts/tool and also under %user%/appdata/roaming/Blackmagic/Fusion/scripts/tool, but Fusion no wants show me anyone scripts under scripts menu.

Fusion 8 is not useful for me without scripts. Why still BM no have fixed this?

Sander de Regt

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Tool scripts don't show up in the regular scripts menu, but only in the *tool* context menu, since they only work on...well, tools.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Rony Soussan

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 4:34 pm

Here's a few fixed up that are usefull and one (fun)

comp: (place in a comp subfolder)
HighLight Animated
Tool Trippin'
Switch Motion Blur (good template for turning any setting across multiple tools)

tool (place in a tool subfolder)
Destabilize Transform !

I'm going to fix a few here when I can, plus making some other basic / usefull ones as well.
Attachments
someFu7Scripts.zip
(3.65 KiB) Downloaded 404 times

Steve Alexander

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 9:07 pm

That's really great of you, Rony - Thanks!
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Fred Pienkos

PostThu Nov 24, 2016 1:48 am

I am going to get in on this thread.

I am thinking about trying to convert many of our scripts from fusion 7 to fusion 8 studio, and I wondered if people have been doing this?

Are there any additional tricks or syntax issues that need to be known other than replacing eyeon with bmd, and .eyeonscript with .lua?

michael vorberg

PostThu Nov 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Fred Pienkos wrote:I am going to get in on this thread.

I am thinking about trying to convert many of our scripts from fusion 7 to fusion 8 studio, and I wondered if people have been doing this?

Are there any additional tricks or syntax issues that need to be known other than replacing eyeon with bmd, and .eyeonscript with .lua?

you also need to check for:'TIME_UNDEFINED' which is now 'fu.TIME_UNDEFINED
then any user dialog "askUser" needs to be now "composition:AskUser"
all for-loops:
for i, sv in svs do

is not valid. You need to use pairs() or ipairs() when iterating through the
contents of a table, for example:

for i, sv in ipairs(svs) do

Derek Serra

PostFri May 19, 2017 4:39 pm

I'm finally updating our .eyeonscripts for Fusion 8. The tips in this thread fixed all but one of my scripts.

Code: Select all
shotFiles = ("C:\\renders\\*.dpx")   
dir = readdir(shotFiles)
numFrames = table.getn(dir)

Previously, numFrames would give me an accurate count of the .dpx files in the folder. Now, it always returns a value of 1.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Andrew Hazelden

PostFri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Derek Serra wrote:I'm finally updating our .eyeonscripts for Fusion 8. The tips in this thread fixed all but one of my scripts.

Code: Select all
shotFiles = ("C:\\renders\\*.dpx")   
dir = readdir(shotFiles)
numFrames = table.getn(dir)

Previously, numFrames would give me an accurate count of the .dpx files in the folder. Now, it always returns a value of 1.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Hi. The readdir() function was part of the lua-fs module that is not present in Fusion 8.2.1's version of Lua. You will have to update your older Fusion 7 scripts to use alternate approaches that use either Lua native functions, or an OS native provided tool with a command like os.execute() to re-create the functionality.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Derek Serra

PostFri May 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi. The readdir() function was part of the lua-fs module that is not present in Fusion 8.2.1's version of Lua. You will have to update your older Fusion 7 scripts to use alternate approaches that use either Lua native functions, or an OS native provided tool with a command like os.execute() to re-create the functionality.

Thanks for the info!

I'll need to figure out how to get this done on Windows. If anyone else has solved it, I'd love to hear what you did.

Return to Fusion