Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

copy animation with time offset, best practices

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jason Yamada-Hanff

copy animation with time offset, best practices

PostSat Aug 13, 2016 1:30 am

Hi all,

I am a Fusion newbie trying to incorporate animation of data visualizations. I have a lot of text nodes that I would like to have all animated in an identical (or nearly identical way), but just offset in time with respect to each other.

I can't quite figure out how to do the time offset. How do I achieve this? I can animate a single text node the way I want. I can also copy the animation of that first text node by _connect_ing properties or using an expression. But both of those techniques don't allow me to edit the animation spline or set a time offset in the spline editor.

Thanks for your help!

Sander de Regt

Re: copy animation with time offset, best practices

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 7:27 pm

I don't know if it's a 'best practice' but I usually use calculation modifiers for situations like these.
RC on the property you want to connect to a previously animated property and select modify with--> calculation. This will give you a modifier (in the modifier tab) that also has a time-offset option. You connect the property by right-clicking and selecting connect to - and then use the time-offset to adjust the timing of the effect.

Depending on how much you need to connect, it can also be easier to just copy/paste the text-tool, change the text and then - in the spline editor - select all the animated splines from the new tool and off-set the timing in there.

Or if the only thing different is the text and the start/end times of the effect, then you can copy/paste the original text tool, change the text and then feed it into a timespeed set to 1 with the offset you need.

As usual there is not a single best way to do things inside of Fusion. I hope this helps.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Eric Westphal

Re: copy animation with time offset, best practices

PostMon Aug 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Of course, there's still the TimeSpeed tool, which allows for simple offsets.
(Set to 'nearest' to reduce render time)

And the TimeStretcher, which basically is a spline-based time modifier.

For 3D-Scenes the Time3D.Fuse comes in extremely handy.
my hovercraft is full of eels.

Return to Fusion