Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Auto update asset locations?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rene Berendsen

Auto update asset locations?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 8:25 pm

I'm working on several comp files for a short animation that consists of around 30 shots.
I'm working between a desktop and a laptop though. Using my laptop at the university and my desktop at home. I have all the source material on an external drive.
If I plug the drive in though the drive letter between my two systems of the external drive is different. So every time I open a the same project on a different computer I have to re-assign all the assets again to the correct location one by one. This is an enormous pain in the ass. Is there a way to have Fusion relocate all assets automatically, or have them locate to a relative drive path instead of an absolute one like /assets/bla/example instead of c:/project/bla/assets/bla/example

Adelson Munhoz

Re: Auto update asset locations?

PostMon Sep 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Try to place the assets in a folder relative to the path of the .comp file itself.

Then edit the loaders to use paths in the form:

Comp:\<path>\<asset-file>

By doing this, Fusion will find the assets based on the .comp path.

bckmnn

Re: Auto update asset locations?

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 pm

I just came across the same issue, and want to share and document my findings.

If you need to replace a lot of loader paths, you can just open your comp file with a text editor and search for & replace the paths you need to change. Saved me a lot of time. Be sure to try it on a copy of your comp first. Not sure if every text editor plays nice with the encodings.

Return to Fusion