Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Stabilization in Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

John Paines

Stabilization in Fusion

PostMon Nov 14, 2016 11:54 pm

Anyone care to comment on the quality shot stabilization in Fusion -- as opposed, say, to Resolve? Or generally, compared to warp stabilizer in AE or similar?

There's a "connect to Fusion" option in Resolve 12.5.3, but being unfamiliar with Fusion, I'm not having success using either the Fusion tracking or camera shake dialogues -- which must be beginner's blunders. And there isn't the same wealth of online information for Fusion, as there is for Resolve.

Thanks for any information/suggestions.

Bob Place

Re: Stabilization in Fusion

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 12:19 pm

There are several videos out there for doing this. Not all in english, but you can still follow along.

CMIVFX also has a Fusion tracking tutorial that covers stabilizing footage. (It is not free though)
Bob Place

MelbFilm

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Stabilization is only as good as its tracking which in Fusion is very good. Difference between Fusion and Resolve is the control that you have in Fusion is much greater, its also more time consuming but often there are shots in Resolve that are a real pain to stabilize and thats where fusion is the better option. All things being equal I dont think any of them offer any better quality of image over the other (I have not tested) but just varying levels of usability and control. The right tool for the job. If I was having trouble with a shot I would take it to fusion because this offers the greatest control for me.

John Paines

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 2:20 am

I don't know.... I set the trackers, run the tracking forward from the start frame, go to "operations", select Match, then BG -- and nothing seems to happen. The clip is in two windows, and they're both showing the trackers, and a red circle in the middle, and no apparent stabilization.

It's doubtless something simple, but blast me if I know what....

Sander de Regt

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 8:30 am

Can you share the footage by any chance? That will help us help you.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

John Paines

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Okay, there's a simple explanation: when connecting from Resolve, two windows come up. The tracking operations apparently have to be conducted on the left-side window ("source"?). And the changes show up in the right window.

In Resolve, such operations (like transform) would have be conducted in what amounts to the program window (on the right), so it wasn't immediately obvious. And the system did show the trackers. Odd.... Anyway, it works now.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Nov 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Glad you got it working. You're pretty close, but in Fusion all windows can display anything. They can be source, result or anything inbetween. Every node you see in the node window below the windows can be displayed seperately. Just drag them to the window and they'll show up.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Robert A. Ober

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Hey Folks,

I did a VFX Connect on a clip in Resolve Studio 16 and it opened in Fusion 16. I applied a standard Tracker node. I have tried single points, multiples points, and multiple locations for the points. fusion does the track, but no stabilization happens. I am monitoring the Saver node in the right pane. I have the operation on Match move and have tried FG over BG and FG only. Apply is normal. Footage is 1080p/23.98.

The loader is connected to the Tracker input and the Tracker output is connected to the Saver node.

Any ideas?

Hope y'all well and good,
Robert
PS: 2018 MacBook Pro, Mojave, 32GB RAM, Radeon 560x 4GB

Bryan Ray

PostThu Aug 15, 2019 12:49 am

For stabilization, you need it in BG only mode. I don't know why they didn't simply call that "Stabilize" when they built the tool, but it's been that way forever.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion