Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Opening Fusion Composition in DaVinci Resolve

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kenny Whitman

Opening Fusion Composition in DaVinci Resolve

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 11:21 pm

It seems to be fairly easy to create a linked Fusion composition from within DaVinci by right clicking on a clip in the timeline and selecting "New Fusion connect clip".

But I am new to Fusion and Resolve and so was unaware of this option, and I was playing with Fusion and created a composition. I now want to import this composition into Resolve as a connected Fusion composition, but am unable to find any information on how to do this? Is it possible, or do I have to render it out and import is the usual way losing the ability to edit this original composition?

Thierry Bergeron

Re: Opening Fusion Composition in DaVinci Resolve

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 1:14 am

I haven't really played with the link between resolve and fusion but maybe send a blank clip from resolve to fusion and paste your flow.

Peter Cordes

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 9:42 am

Hi,

when creating a fusion connect, Resolve renders the clip to use it in fusion, creates the base fusion comp project with loader, properly set saver and project name and then starts fusion with this project.

When you are done with your composition, you save the composition in fusion and render it out.

After rendering, resolve has automatically the rendered clip in its timeline and also all needed references to the fusion comp.

When you need to edit the fusion connect clip, you go to your clip in resolve, right mouse button / fusion connect / open in fusion and tadaaaa, fusion opens with your comp and you can edit it.

After editing, save the comp, render it and so forth.

I hope it helps.

Peter

Thomas Milde

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 am

So as I understand it, the only advantage of having a "Fusion connect" clip is to have the Fusion gui setup ready with all the information and a loader with the selected footage (and saver).
At the end there is always the rendering taking place. So if you use the rendered media which is communicated between the two apps or use your own render output is just a matter of comfort, right?
You still can go back to your saved comp in Fusion, change it and render it out again, with the disadvantage of importing it back manually.
Is there anything I missed?
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

michael vorberg

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 3:09 pm

That's how it works

Don't think you missed something

Adelson Munhoz

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Fusion Connect also allows several versions inside the same clip.

You can create and navigate through this versions from inside Resolve without reimporting or relinking.

That's a big advantage if you render compositions in offline/online quality or with several languages, for example.

Kenny Whitman

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

In the end, like what was suggested, I imported the base clip into Resolve, created a Fusion linked clip, then I copied and pasted the nodes in from my Fusion only save.

It would be great to be able to directly import a Fusion into a Resolve project as a Fusion connected clip, but copy and pasting it in isn't too much trouble in the absence of such a functionality.

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 4:35 pm

I would like to add that you can get Fusion to render sort of a quick version of the comp using background render and enabling High Quality Render in the Composition and in the Saver node. Someone has done a tutorial on it, but I can't find it at the moment. I don't have Fusion at work, but when I will go home I will take a couple of screenshots to explain how to do it.
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

Sam Steti

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Kenny Whitman wrote:Thanks for your feedback.

In the end, like what was suggested, I imported the base clip into Resolve, created a Fusion linked clip, then I copied and pasted the nodes in from my Fusion only save.

It would be great to be able to directly import a Fusion into a Resolve project as a Fusion connected clip, but copy and pasting it in isn't too much trouble in the absence of such a functionality.

That's roughly what I asked for in the Resolve side of the forum... Not possible at this point.

Also be aware - because it was the specific topic discussed there - that you may have problems with the alpha channel display in the Fusion Connect clip when back to Resolve.
Fortunately easy to fix it, and actually the same way you are writing about here on this thread.

Just for you all to know if needed, check it yourself, in a super basic example : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x528hk ... t-pt2_tech
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Chad Capeland

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Also be aware that by default Resolve puts the .comp and the rendered results in it's cache folder.

:shock:

_
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Sam Steti

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Woaw... What a smashing piece of news... :roll:

Peter Cordes

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 8:55 am

Chad Capeland wrote:Also be aware that by default Resolve puts the .comp and the rendered results in it's cache folder.

But you can define the folder every time you create a fusion connect.

Thanks
Peter

Chad Capeland

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 2:16 pm

Peter Cordes wrote:
Chad Capeland wrote:Also be aware that by default Resolve puts the .comp and the rendered results in it's cache folder.

But you can define the folder every time you create a fusion connect.

Thanks
Peter

It would be nice if it were smarter about what path to use, though. Defaulting to the path that the footage exists in would be a good start. Wouldn't be so bad if the "browse" function wasn't so terrible.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Sam Steti

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 3:57 pm

The path issue is not so terrible after all, since you choose whatever you prefer at the very beginning of the creation of the Fusion Connect clip, although defaulting to the path where the footage exists would indeed be a good start, for sure...

Whatever, at least 2 issues are far more annoying on the Resolve: having to re-import the F.C. clip in Resolve to take benefit of the potential alpha channel is one of them; a little remote but also connected to the path topic is that you cannot relink a clip to its cache (smart or user) if changes are made and aborted on the TL... Resolve re-renders again, moreover in a folder whose name looks like an encrypted one, which prevents from relinking instead of letting re-render... I guess it will change soon.

Can we relink the TL or a single node to its own cache in Fusion btw ?

Kenny Whitman

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have definitely fallen into the cache folder trap :D

Chad Capeland

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 7:08 pm

One thing I'd like is an option to not do any rendering or file output at all. Just put the .setting into the clipboard. Would help mitigate one of the other issues I have: I want one comp for a sequence, not a shot. That way I can apply the same effects to multiple shots in the sequence without having to manage changes across multiple .comps.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Kel Philm

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 6:20 am

Chad,

I think you can select multiple clips for a single comp, I accidentally did this the other day. It creates one comp with all the clips merging as required on the timeline in Fusion.

Sam Steti

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 9:38 am

Chad Capeland wrote:One thing I'd like is an option to not do any rendering or file output at all. Just put the .setting into the clipboard.
Yep, this the Mocha Pro standalone way...
Would help mitigate one of the other issues I have: I want one comp for a sequence, not a shot. That way I can apply the same effects to multiple shots in the sequence without having to manage changes across multiple .comps.
Not sure wether you talk about the Resolve side or not, but depending on the project, I guess a workaround may be found quite easily...

Return to Fusion