Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Cutout Animation

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

serdarsaygi

Cutout Animation

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi, I am coming from After Effects and I wonder if Fusion can be a good tool for a cutout animation ? I would like to hear some workflows or tips if anyone working with Fusion specifically for cutout animation. (Terry Gilliam, Cyriak etc. kind of stuff)

Thanks

Peace

michael vorberg

Re: Cutout Animation

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 7:12 pm

i guess for something like the mentioned videos your better to stay in AE
adjusting timing of multiple layers is better done in a layer based enviroment.

you can do all that in fusion, but i guess it gets very messy

Adelson Munhoz

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 pm

In my opinion, the main limitation of Fusion in this kind of 2D animation is that you cannot select an element in the viewport directly and move / scale / rotate it. You must select the correspondent merge or transform node in the flow.

For that reason I usually work in 3D. The 3D viewport allows direct selection of elements with the benefit that you have a camera to move the image as a whole with parallax and DoF.

3D composition in Fusion is way faster than in AE and I do not feel any overhead on doing this way.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Something like this is probably best done in 3D anyway. Pure technically real cutout is also done in 3D. Just some stuff on top of each other with a real camera filming it.
In the past some people have even managed to create some sort of parenting and IK system for Fusion's 3D space. That will help when doing a little more elaborated animation.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion