Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 8 - Not utilizing NVidia graphics card

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kenny Whitman

Fusion 8 - Not utilizing NVidia graphics card

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi all, I hope you can help please,

I was having terrible trouble with Fusion 8 running extremely slowly. I am on an Optimus laptop which switches between an integrated Intel graphics chip and an NVidia 960M. Fusion 8 was running extremely slowly after reinstalling Windows and all software. I was sure I had it all set up to use the NVidia but it was still nowhere near as fast as it had been before the wipe.

I did a lot of tests and had written a post when I decided to do one last test, set the NVidia control panel to the integrated Intel, then set it back to see if that helped reset it (using HWMonitor I could see that Fusion wasn't using the NVidia card during playback in Fusion). Interestingly, playback was far faster with the Intel card, and returned to the extremely poor performance (1 frame per second) when I set it to use the NVidia again.

I have no problem getting other programs to use the NVidia using this program selection panel in the NVidia control panel (global settings are also set to use the NVidia as preferred card), and Resolve seems to use it fine too. Does anyone have any experience of problems getting Fusion to use the performance graphics card on Optimus set ups and does anyone know of a fix please? Thanks in advance.

Specs:
Intel i5 quad at 2.3Gb
NVidia 960M Optimus setup with Intel integrated.
16Gb RAM.
HDD with 200Gb free.
Windows 10

Trevor Waters

Re: Fusion 8 - Not utilizing NVidia graphics card

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 7:02 pm

I am having the same problem, I think.

I have a GTX 970, 4790k, I don't why my my CPU shoots up to 90-100% use every time I click the preview render...

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it not using my graphics card. I don't know how to test this though or make sure Fusion is using my graphics card.

michael vorberg

Re: Fusion 8 - Not utilizing NVidia graphics card

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Trevor Waters wrote:I am having the same problem, I think.

I have a GTX 970, 4790k, I don't why my my CPU shoots up to 90-100% use every time I click the preview render...

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it not using my graphics card. I don't know how to test this though or make sure Fusion is using my graphics card.

it totally depends on your comp and used tools, only a handfull of nodes can utilize the GPU everything else will be rendered using the CPU

Return to Fusion