Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Network Rendering on Mac

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dallas Lammiman

Network Rendering on Mac

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:50 pm

I am trying to setup network rendering on my macs (with Fusion Studio). The part I am stuck on is best practices for file management.

The User Manual is still pretty PC centric on this topic, and I cant figure out how to translate the information to Apple file systems and paths. The manual recommends UNC Names. I am unfamiliar with these, but they seems to be a PC thing.

Is anyone else successfully Network Rendering with their Macs using studio render nodes? I would love to hear what your strategies are!
Mac OS Mojave v 12.14.5 - Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.7 Quad-Core, 16GB RAM, x2 FirePro D300 2GB - Davinci Resolve Studio 16.1 - Fusion Studio 16

Andrew Hazelden

Re: Network Rendering on Mac

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Dallas Lammiman wrote:Is anyone else successfully Network Rendering with their Macs using studio render nodes? I would love to hear what your strategies are!

If you are on a private network, have no concerns about file permissions and user authentication, and only need to connect several of your own locally connected Linux or Mac render nodes to each other, then NFS file sharing is an option that is fast and efficient.

I am using this approach today to render between several computers with Fusion Studio without too many headaches. :)

You can use the NFS Manager program to set this type of NFS sharing configuration up on your Mac. The network sharing drives and folders are then grafted to the root file system (or to a custom path of your choosing) on all your render nodes so the exact same identical filepath is accessible on Mac and Linux in your Fusion .comps.

You can also set up your own Fusion "PathMap" entries in the Fusion preferences in your .comp files too if you want to use a relative path like "Dallas:/Media/bmd_greenscreen4k.0000.exr" in your loader and saver nodes to keep things tidy and short.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Return to Fusion