Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Was told at NAB road show Fusion 9 coming shortly

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Clayton Von Isaacs

Was told at NAB road show Fusion 9 coming shortly

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Went to the NAB road show in Portland the other day and asked the BM reps about Fusion. I think it is either Siggraph or another technology show in August or September, but they said that is where they are going to be announcing Fusion 9, and future updates for Fusion will be announced at that show instead of NAB as well. The guy who gave the Resolve Presentation also stated this, and said they made many improvements that 9 will truly be a competitor to Nuke, and that we will be very happy with what they did with it. Asked them about Ultimatte integration into Fusion and they said that is the plan but could not say if it will be in this update and could not talk about it any further. Again, this is what I was told by more than one rep so I am just going off of what they said
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Miltos Pilalitos

Re: Was told at NAB road show Fusion 9 coming shortly

PostSun Jun 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I like what i hear!

IBC is almost 3 months away. For some reason i feel kinda sure that we will all be pleasantly surprised.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 1:08 am

I think they said Siggraph but it cold be that. I swear they said either August or September but thinking August
Clayton Von Isaacs

Kel Philm

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 pm

As a guy who moved over from Nuke recently I must say I am really enjoying working with Fusion, its taken a while to get my head around a lot of stuff but its great to hear they are pushing forward with Fusion.

Mario Kalogjera

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 8:47 am

Any info about a price drop for Fusion Studio like BM did with Resolve?

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Mario Kalogjera wrote:Any info about a price drop for Fusion Studio like BM did with Resolve?

Sent from my GM 5 Plus d using Tapatalk

That is the one question I regret I did not ask and wish I did. However, even if I asked I doubt they would have been able to tell me or even hint at. They keep stuff like that pretty close to the chest
Clayton Von Isaacs

Kel Philm

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:42 pm

I dont think we'll see a price drop, its for a smaller market and the price is pretty good as it is for the Studio version. I also think any serious compositor would be happy to pay and see that money go into R&D.

Julian Baum

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am

I wonder if we'll see a continuation of the free version, as this seems like a major feature update. That said, the current Studio price is very good - can't complain at that.
i7 4930 3.40Ghz 64Gb DDR3
Titan Black 6Gb - Driver 384.76
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Resolve 14.5 beta 5

Joe Carney

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 9:24 pm

If they improve it and drop the price to 299.00, then nuke will have a hard time justifying their price. Even Adobe could be affected.

Kel Philm

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 9:55 pm

I think Nuke has a hard time justifying their price compared to Fusion as it is.

Jeff Ha

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 8:50 am

Kel Philm wrote:I think Nuke has a hard time justifying their price compared to Fusion as it is.

eh. hardly.

Apps like Nuke and Houdini are expensive but they provide a lot more functionality than say Fusion. Fusion "Studio" dropping its price down to $299 doesn't mean people will buy it. The difference in features of Studio versus the free version is negligible. Also, BM has traditionally been bad at marketing and even moreso with Fusion. Making a $299 version of Studio while still maintaining a free version, at its current state, won't make it any better than Nuke or even CC when it comes to feature sets. If anything it's hemorrhaging their overhead.

I'm all for BM updating Fusion but I seriously doubt Fusion 9 will compete with Nuke 11. It's great BM employee is jazzed about his app and is telling people it'll compete but pride aside, he probably knows they have a long road ahead to convince a sizable amount of customers to buy Fusion (not free version).

Jeff Ha

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 9:09 am

Kel Philm wrote:I dont think we'll see a price drop, its for a smaller market and the price is pretty good as it is for the Studio version. I also think any serious compositor would be happy to pay and see that money go into R&D.

Sorry but any compositor (*or any user of any software) isn't going to happily give money to a developer in the hopes that money will go into R&D and further develop the software. You buy a license because you need the functionality that software provides and what your budget can allow. Also, a "serious compositor" probably realizes that $999 he/she paid for their software may possibly fund $199 towards R&D, and a developers day rate is higher than that.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Jul 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Kel Philm wrote:I think Nuke has a hard time justifying their price compared to Fusion as it is.

I agree with what Jeff said in his answer. Fusion Studio can even drop to 0$, there still is nothing to justify for Nuke, because Nuke is not bought instead of Studio due to Studio being 1K$ and lowering this does not change anything. Nuke, currently going for something like 4K$ for standard licence, is bought because it has the tools to pull stuff off and it has a proven track record of massive comps and very good pipeline integration possibilities. If Fusion will start to show similar capabilities, it does not need to lower the price for people to buy it.
I do stuff

Return to Fusion