Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Why is Fusion crashing my computer?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Tyler Wilson

Why is Fusion crashing my computer?

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 8:04 am

I have created a composition of 2D images imported from Toon Boom Harmony, but it seems when I connect all nodes to the final merger it crashes my computer.

I only have 16GB of RAM, could that be the cause? Is this software very RAM demanding in mildly complex-complex comositions?

If low RAM isn't the cause, then please let me know any information I can provide to further help solve this problem.

Sander de Regt

Re: Why is Fusion crashing my computer?

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Can you show us the comp? What you describe doesn't sound that complicated. I used to use Fusion on computers with 2 gb of Ram without a problem (although it didn't work fast) so can you post the comp by selecting all your nodes, and copy/pasting them inbetween the 'code' formatting that this forum allows, like this

Code: Select all
For I=1 to 10
Print "This is a code block"
Next I
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Tyler Wilson

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 am

I attempted to copy and paste my code, but it consists of 1,000,000+ characters and the maximum allowed on this forum is 60,000.. Is there any other way I could share my comp?

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 am

You could put it on google drive or on dropbox or someplace like that and share the link.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Tyler Wilson

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 am

Here is a link to google drive containing my current Comp file.

Don't be surprised if there's noob mistakes in there as I'm still very new to this software, it's not complete yet and a little messy.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_-4wnUtgPzVb19RejBMWGc5aGM

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:56 am

That's - quite frankly - insane. If you're new to the software, why on earth would you start out with something as complex as this?
This is not a 'mildly' complex comp IMO.

Without having access to your image files it's nigh impossible to figure out why it's not working.
But from the shear amount of nodes and images I think you might just be running out of memory.
Or your computer is going mad from all the I/O you're doing.
From the looks of it you have so many duplicate loaders. It's a big waste of resources.
If you have one loader called fluffy-something, that can feed into 20 different imageplanes simultaneously. There is no need to have 20+ loaders for the same image.
How many seperate elements are in this comp?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Tyler Wilson

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 am

Sander de Regt wrote:That's - quite frankly - insane. If you're new to the software, why on earth would you start out with something as complex as this?
This is not a 'mildly' complex comp IMO.

Without having access to your image files it's nigh impossible to figure out why it's not working.
But from the shear amount of nodes and images I think you might just be running out of memory.
Or your computer is going mad from all the I/O you're doing.
From the looks of it you have so many duplicate loaders. It's a big waste of resources.
If you have one loader called fluffy-something, that can feed into 20 different imageplanes simultaneously. There is no need to have 20+ loaders for the same image.
How many seperate elements are in this comp?

I started out with this because I'm currently attempting to develop a cartoon, and after being introduced to this software I realized I could create "3D models" with my 2D images from Toon Boom. I did not realize though that I could hookup one loader to multiple imageplanes, that will help greatly.

I don't exactly know what you mean by elements, but I have 30 houses, a couple roadways, the grass, sky, bushes, trees, wheat, a couple boulder like rocks, some businesses, and in the future will be adding some pre-animated and rendered stuff like characters, vehicles, doors opening, camera movement, etc..

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 am

Let me put it this way: how many seperate images do you want to import?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Tyler Wilson

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 am

In total as of where the comp is currently, I would need a bare minimum of 102 separate images. That number will increase as I add more things to the comp though.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:25 am

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing: you mean 102 different images? So you count your 20 clouds as 1 seperate image? How does Toon Boom handle those?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Tyler Wilson

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 am

Yes, I'm talking 102 completely separate images, non duplicated, 91 of the separate images are from the front, side, back, and roof of the houses.

In Toon Boom I just build a 2D image, render and export it into a library on my desktop. There's no real 3D space on the version I use, and no duplication feature either.

Return to Fusion