Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Exporting Files with no File Extension

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Cameron Porter

Fusion Exporting Files with no File Extension

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Using the free version of Fusion 8. My scene consists of 3d text, a particle system, a light, and a camera. Trying to export 120 frames to TIFF files. Fusion goes through the render process but none of the files have a file extension. The same thing happens when I try to do a jpeg sequence.

Adding a .tiff extension to the files allowed them to be readable by both Windows preview and Davinci Resolve.

However, I've rendered out sequences from Fusion before with no issue, and it's not practical to keep changing filenames for countless frames after they've rendered.

I've attached a snip of my node tree; I'm not sure what other information is relevant - has anyone run into this before?
Attachments
Fusion node tree.PNG
Fusion node tree.PNG (48.23 KiB) Viewed 2632 times

Chad Capeland

Re: Fusion Exporting Files with no File Extension

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Many output formats in Fusion have multiple valid extensions. For instance, Radience HDR images can be either .hdr or .rgbe. Both are valid. In your case, you could save the files as .tif, .tiff, .tif16, etc.. So Fusion lets you specify the extension. Fusion will read in the files without any extension at all, as it checked the header of the files themselves to determine the type.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

PeterMoretti

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 11:22 pm

I don't know the answer from a Fusion point of view. But a workaround (which should not be needed IMHO) would be use a file renaming program.

There are a lot of free good ones. I've used ReNamer with excellent results.

But one would think that there is a way to specify the extension inside Fusion.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Bryan Ray

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 am

To extract the actual answer from what Chad said: just add ".tiff" to the end of your filename in the Saver:

C:\foo\bar_v01.####.tiff

Adding an extension in the filename field will change the Output Format field, but changing the Output Format will not update the filename field. You can therefore wind up with a tiff sequence named with the .png extension if you are not careful. Or, as in your case, a tiff sequence with no extension at all.

edit: And I agree with Peter: A good file renamer is something you should always have in your back pocket. Den4b's ReNamer is super fast and reasonably easy to use: https://www.den4b.com/products/renamer
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Cameron Porter

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks, guys. I used a file renamer to get through this last render, but I'll test Bryan's tip on adding the extension to the filename in the Saver node with my next project.

Return to Fusion