Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Generation: Why?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Chris Wells

Generation: Why?

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 8:19 pm

So as far as I can tell Generation is now dead. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Studio player is garbage, Everyone has the same response, wait how does this work? And then, wait, why is that the workflow?

Its doesn't replace generation, it's workflow is messy, needlessly complicated, and I haven't even had great luck with it as a player. Also the functionality of Generation... Gone. Assign shots, set status? Really? How? Someone from Blackmagic show us how you think this is suppose to work. Put some video together, because as it is, it makes no sense why anyone would want to use it. Please prove me wrong, show some awesome collaboration workflow. Also show me how scripting can make it work with oh say other apps.

I would love to be wrong, but it looks like you just killed an amazing product you didn't even understand. Why would I say you didn't understand it, because studio player is not a replacement!

If you don't get Generation, please for the love of those of us who do, sale it to somebody else, or release it opensource so it doesn't die. Generation can continue, it doesn't take much, the occasional driver update. Crap make it work with your playback hardware, and then don't touch it, and just make it available. people will buy cards to use it, you make some money and it keeps going.

Anyone that actually uses Generation, can you come up with a good replacement system? I can't, nothing does what Generation does as well as it. Especially studio player.

Sincerely,
Chris

Adam Archer

Re: Generation: Why?

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 5:34 am

If what you say is true then that is really disappointing. I was looking forward to utilising Generation in our facility and hoping for a tight integration with Resolve. Was kind of hoping that a Resolve timeline could auto-populate into Generation with a LUT per shot type of thing.

Will have to explore Studio Player when I have a chance but it doesn't sound like it has the same functionality as Generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bart Janssen

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 9:08 am

Unfortunately I too am a bit disappointed with the Studio Player. Fortunately Generation 8 still works but we can't built a pipeline on something that is most likely going to be EOL. Let's hope the step up the game on this one soon.
Being able to launch it from within Fusion can be nice in some circumstances but I preferred it as a separate executable compared to living in the bins.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 9:13 am

I think the bins itself are now a seperate executable. Or at least they can be started independently from Fusion. As far as I understand the new Studio Players serves as the jumping off point for a more advanced solution. Yes, Generation is effectively EOL (especially since there is/was/won't be any cross-platform compatibility) but Studio Players is not a final product by any means.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Axel Mertes

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 11:05 am

I was hopeing Studio Player is just a new name for Generation. I found I was wrong.

Same feelings about this as everyone else. Given that we paid some money a long while back to get onto the Generation train very early.

Where can I find the latest Generation installer?

The only replacement I can see is using DaVinci itself for versioning/playback as a timeline system, sending jobs to Fusion. However, its approach to folder structure is a bit crippled, I don't see a chance for scripting here etc. But it is not able to send jobs off to thirdparties, right? So no real replacement...

So, BMD, any insights on where this is heading?

We do understand that hobbyists and 1 (wo-)man shows don't necessarily need Generation, but smaller and bigger shopts with more than 1 comper in action would love to use it.
Axel Mertes
Film, Video and IT professional
Freelancer/Consultant

Sander de Regt

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 am

I've never used Generation myself. What feature that was in there, that you actively used is missing from Studio player?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Yannick Tholomier

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 pm

I can't believe BM dropped Generation...
What it needed was scripts examples to fit user pipeline.
a bit of debugging... somes UI fix... et voilà...

Sure Advanced users maybe want a better workflow for large user groups...

Well hard to digest that Studio Player.

Bryan Ray

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 12:43 am

Sander de Regt wrote:I've never used Generation myself. What feature that was in there, that you actively used is missing from Studio player?

I just poked around in Studio Player a bit for the first time today (and I'll admit I haven't read its documentation yet; some of my gripes may be taken care of after I do that!) Here are the things that, in my opinion, need to happen to make it useful:

We need to be able to apply LUTs and other color transforms in the player.
Frame caching needs to improve. I don't get smooth playback on HD 10-bit DPX even after looping through a couple of times.
Full-Screen mode. Heck, I can't even maximize the clip in the player window or set it to 100% zoom as far as I can tell. The only way to adjust the zoom level appears to be LMB+MMB, and there is no on-screen indicator of what the current zoom level is. There's a button to send the signal to a video monitor, but I don't see any way to display it on a second screen such as an artist would have at their desk.
More keyboard controls. Generation can flip through versions using keyboard shortcuts, which I have found very helpful.
Split-screen version comparison.
View RGB channels in isolation. Studio Player seems to be able to look at the RGB composite or the Alpha, but I can't look at just the Blue channel, as far as I can tell.
Metadata overlay, rather than just a sidebar.
Random access playhead control. I'd like to be able to place my playhead with a single click on the timeline instead of having to drag it across uncached frames—that greatly slows down interaction.

Some additional features from Generation that I personally thought were excessive in a review utility:
Shot status, artist assignment, simultaneous review of multiple clips.

I didn't use Generation all that much, but it definitely had some killer features that would be nice to see make their way into the Studio Player. As it stands, I don't find the player all that useful, though I can see its potential. I just hope realizing that potential doesn't take too much energy away from making Fusion itself the best that it can be.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

michael vorberg

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 am

Yannick Tholomier wrote:I can't believe BM dropped Generation...
What it needed was scripts examples to fit user pipeline.
a bit of debugging... somes UI fix... et voilà...

Sure Advanced users maybe want a better workflow for large user groups...

Well hard to digest that Studio Player.

the generation code was windows only and it was very well optimized for it. there was no chance to port it over to macos or linux (as far as i can tell hearing from guys with deeper indepth knowledge)

but studio player will be an evolving part of fusion. is people express there needs the developers can improve it

Return to Fusion