Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

CGI Goatee Possible in Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Chris Chiasson

CGI Goatee Possible in Fusion?

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm very new when it comes to what's possible and what isn't with Fusion. But I've run into a little situation that might involve some CGI work. I have an actor who we shot a few scenes with. 90% of the movie, he has a Goatee. But for the final scenes, he ended up shaving it off without telling us, forcing us to try to work around it as best we can. And this was the final day for that set, before being booted out, so going back and redoing it wasn't an option. We came up with a few creative solutions, but in reality, I'd prefer if said scenes did less hiding of his face, and actually showed it. Thus, I've been trying to find any method of digitally adding a goatee for far shots, but have yet to find any. I'm wondering if Fusion can help me in this regard, and what steps I'd need to do.

alan bovine

Re: CGI Goatee Possible in Fusion?

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 6:33 pm

If you've got some good high quality reference from other shots. Save them and use them for the goatee-less pickup shots.

Try using the new planar tracker to stabilize the face, stick it on there and then reverse the stabilization. Works great when the head isn't doing any crazy motion. But even then, perhaps the new 3d tracker could give you a decent 3d object solve ?

Regardless, I'd try the 2d/planar tracker option first, Fusion should handle it just fine.
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

michael vorberg

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 6:40 pm

i guess it all depeneds on time (and money) and how your shots look

in fusion you could track his face (now with the new planar tracker) and attach an image of a goatee to the face. this could work well but can also be time consuming depending on the motion of the actor.

for more close shots you would propably need a full 3d track with object tracking of the face (i guess it would still need an external software to do that, i think the new camera tracker in fusion doesnt do object tracking). then you could use 3D software to recreate the beard and comp that in fusion.

Vladimir LaFortune

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Ouch that really sucks.

Ok from top of my head if the shot is wide or semi-wide maybe you can get away with some dirtwork that would do away with lots of frame by frame warping of the previously masked frontal goatee from some close-up. Work on some faux shading and color over it to proximately match the original plate and then smudge it with some clever color grading across the whole shot.

Now if the shot is medium or close up and there is dialog your best bet would be to try to make a 3D scan out of frames you already have in Agisoft or similar software, mask the goatee and eye match the XY axis movement if you can't afford to mess with object tracking. You can try to pull of some object tracking by using Mocha planes and camera solves like in this example
Then you either take that scanned goatee or you Zbrush one, match it onto pointcloud and warp the hell out of it to match the lip movement. Either way it will take you some trial and error to make it work right.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Object tracking should be possible with new camera tracker when the area of interest is first masked, because technically there is no difference whether the camera moves and object is still or vice versa. The problem is that the movement must either be "flipped" post solve using some script or other futzing or lights must be linked to camera to get variable lighting on object.
I do stuff

Kel Philm

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 pm

There is an option in the Camera Tracker to animate the Camera or the Point Cloud, I'd assume you animate the Cloud and publish some of the points and use these to transform your geometry. You may be able to select some points and create animated geometry from it.

Kraig Winterbottom

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:25 am

What you need is the CGI Brows "Goatee Extension". Bleeding edge stuff ;)

Thierry Bergeron

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Kraig Winterbottom wrote:What you need is the CGI Brows "Goatee Extension". Bleeding edge stuff ;)

I had forgotten about that one, thanks

Return to Fusion