Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How does the resolution independent workflow work?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

daniel.partzsch

How does the resolution independent workflow work?

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 8:17 am

Hey,

I am new to Fusion and I am currently trying to get my head around certain things. One thing that is not really clear to me is the resolution independent workflow. What I would like to do and the way I would imagine how it works is that: I rendered out an OpenEXR file from Cinema 4D with some passes (like depth and object buffers, reflection and so on) at 1080p resolution because I would like to create a Full HD video from that. I than work with these files and put effects and backgrounds, vignettes, particles etc. onto that footage. So I have the look that I want to achieve and now I would also like to create for example a print poster from that comp. So I am rendering out new OpenEXR from Cinema in the dimensions and higher resolution of an A4 portrait poster for example. I would expect that now everything that I've created so far adopts to this new format when I replace the source footage passes. However this somehow only works for certain things like the Merge-Tools and glow or color correct effects but not for stuff like background tools and particle emitters (when hovering over the tools the dimensions are displayed). So what I've tried is to put a resize tool in between those elements that haven't been scaled up accordingly to the new dimensions and the Passes. However this works only for backgrounds but not for the particle emitter for example. And I am not sure if this workflow only scales these layers up and resamples them or actually increases the size of the background and than renders the effects and mask etc. like they would look like when the tool was actually created at that size (like in after effects the quality / sharpness difference between just scaling for example an adjustment layer up to the new size or creating a new layer with the increased / changed dimensions of the composition). For now I didn't find a way the change the resolution of existing tools by for example right clicking on them and finding a setting for that. And if I change the frame size in the comp preferences this will only have an effect on newly created tools but not on the existing ones. The only way I figured out so far how to change the dimensions of all the tools is to load in the project file into a text editor and search and replace all dimension settings there, save it and open the file again. Than all the tools render nice and sharp (particles for example) at the higher resolution. Is there a way to maybe change this in Fusion itself?
The same thing applies for changing the Color depth in the comp preferences: some background tools for example change their color depth setting and others don't even though the have more or less the same settings applied.
Would be great if you can help me find clarity about this topic! Thanks in advance!

Chad Capeland

Re: How does the resolution independent workflow work?

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Don't set the resolution of the Source/Creator tools manually. Set them to "Use Frame Format Settings". Set the Depth to Default.

Not all tools are resolution independent. Crop, CustomFilter, all of the Optical Flow and some of the Stereo tools, some of the particle tools... It mostly works, but until you get used to it, you still have to check things.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

daniel.partzsch

Re: How does the resolution independent workflow work?

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:Don't set the resolution of the Source/Creator tools manually. Set them to "Use Frame Format Settings". Set the Depth to Default.

Not all tools are resolution independent. Crop, CustomFilter, all of the Optical Flow and some of the Stereo tools, some of the particle tools... It mostly works, but until you get used to it, you still have to check things.
Yeah thanks, I figured this out myself right after I submitted the question but before it got approved thanks anyway!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Return to Fusion