Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

VR / Oculus

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou

VR / Oculus

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi, i've Tried to get Fusion to work with Oculus Rift.

Unfortunately until now without success. when klick the 4th viewing "Dot" in a node the Oculus App opens, but neither in the viewer which opens nor in the Rift anything is shown – except for a fusion logo (in the Rift) telling me that the app crashed and can't be closed.

when i start the Fusion App in Oculus rift a second instance of Fusion gets started on the PC but nothing else happens.

any ideas??

Andrew Hazelden

Re: VR / Oculus

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou wrote:Hi, i've Tried to get Fusion to work with Oculus Rift.

Unfortunately until now without success. when klick the 4th viewing "Dot" in a node the Oculus App opens, but neither in the viewer which opens nor in the Rift anything is shown – except for a fusion logo (in the Rift) telling me that the app crashed and can't be closed.

when i start the Fusion App in Oculus rift a second instance of Fusion gets started on the PC but nothing else happens.

any ideas??

Hi Jörg-Mark.

I haven't tried it myself but I think you can also connect your Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 HMD to Fusion 9 on Windows using the Valve "OpenVR" driver option in Fusion's VR Headsets preferences if the "Oculus" driver option isn't working for you right now.

Fusion VR Headsets Preferences Window.png
Fusion "VR Headsets" Preferences Window
Fusion VR Headsets Preferences Window.png (84.02 KiB) Viewed 3354 times

To enable and successfully use the OpenVR option in Fusion you will likely have to install and set up Steam VR on your system to use this workflow.

Here are some links that discuss SteamVR / OpenVR:
https://steamcommunity.com/steamvr

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/

If you try the OpenVR driver approach out, I'd love to hear how it works for you.

Good Luck! :)

Regards,
Andrew Hazelden
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Kel Philm

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 pm

I have a Rift and had to use OpenVR to get it to work. I had Steam installed and it seems to work fine. I get crashes also when using the Oculus option and when I try to turn VR off {Win 10)

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:43 pm

thanks for the reply ... i'll try this tomorrow.

is openvr a part of steam?

can i have steam / open vr installed together with the oculus software or will this result in conflicts?

Kel Philm

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 am

They seem to coexist fine, in fact steam seems to run on top of the Oculus software, can't confirm this though.

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 pm

unfortunately it did not work out ... do i have to install something else except for the steam VR software?

Bryan Ray

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 3:29 pm

When I tried it, I didn't need SteamVR. I just installed the Oculus software and went through the configuration. Then I activated the HMD in Fusion's Preferences, put on the visor, and everything was working. That was in Windows 7 with a Titan X. I haven't tried it at home with Windows 10 yet.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 am

It is working now...

i had two graphics cards installed - a nvidia 980 TI and a Quadro K4000.

the solution was to remove the Quadro card from the PC and connect the Monitor and the Oculus to the 980TI Card.

it is not ideal at all, but at least i know now what causes the problem...

Thanks for your input :)

Jörg-Mark

Return to Fusion