Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Affinity photo and design compatibility with fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jonathan Murphy

Affinity photo and design compatibility with fusion?

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 6:03 pm

I am trying to completely get away from Adobe and was wondering if Affinity has compatibility with Fusion? If not what programs are people using for vector work and Photoshop replacements? Thanks!!

Bryan Ray

Re: Affinity photo and design compatibility with fusion?

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 7:38 pm

The current accepted workflow for vectors is to use SVG as an exchange format. In Fusion, File > Import > SVG will create a group node containing Polygons and Backgrounds that reconstruct the SVG. I haven't used this feature much, but for the few logos I've needed it works just fine. I'm not sure which features of SVG are fully supported.

For rasters, Fusion can take any standard format image. It doesn't have support for some features of PSD, such as adjustment layers.

To be honest, I have grown so accustomed to a node-based workflow that unless I need very fine painting control, I tend to use Fusion itself to replace both Photoshop and Illustrator. If I do find I need better painting tools, I have an old permanent license for CS4 that I fall back on. My needs are fairly limited, though. A proper graphic designer would probably need more and better tools than what I can get by with.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Travis Schmiesing

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 8:33 pm

What happens if you save you Affinity file as a PSD and then link it to the Fusion node? Does this give the same compatibility levels as what a PSD saved in Photoshop does?

Andrew Hazelden

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 am

Travis Schmiesing wrote:What happens if you save you Affinity file as a PSD and then link it to the Fusion node? Does this give the same compatibility levels as what a PSD saved in Photoshop does?

Yes. It works fine.

Step 1. Export a PSD layered document from Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo Export to PSD.png
Export a PSD from Affinity Photo
Affinity Photo Export to PSD.png (46.12 KiB) Viewed 2548 times

Step 2. In Fusion run the File > Import > PSD... menu command to load the layered PSD file into your current comp.

Fusion PSD Import Menu Item.png
Import the PSD Document into Fusion
Fusion PSD Import Menu Item.png (75.17 KiB) Viewed 2548 times

Step 3. After you import the PSD document into your composite, each of the source layers used can be customized after the fact by clicking on a Loader node's Format tab. You can then change the active PSD Layer name used in the Loader node or modify the way the alpha masking data is applied.

Affinity Photo Layers Loaded in from PSD Export into Fusion Comp.png
The Loader Node's Format Tab allows you to adjust the PSD Layer loading settings after the imagery has been imported into Fusion.
Affinity Photo Layers Loaded in from PSD Export into Fusion Comp.png (71.68 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

JackJones1337

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Such great information, I like to take photos, it will be very useful to me!

http://fixthephoto.com/best-photoshop-actions

Return to Fusion